Ever wonder how your favorite spin instructors have the energy to ride and talk during class, nevertheless go on to teach more classes later that day? For me, doing just one spin class a day can be exhausting. However, what you eat before and after you exercise can play a big role in how you feel. While not every spin instructor follows the same diet, I did some digging and asked two of CycleBar Winston Salem's most beloved instructors to fill us in on how they do it. 

Keep reading to find out what two spin instructors, Clara and Avery, eat to feel energized throughout a day of teaching. 

Pre-Class

On a typical day, Clara and Avery might be teaching as early as 6:15 am and might not be back in the studio for another class until later that afternoon. Timing is key, so what they decide to eat depends a lot on when they're teaching. 

cereal, wheat, sweet, corn, milk, Bowl, spoon, Cheerios, oats, Gluten Free, breakfast
Caroline Ingalls

Clara: "[My pre-class meal] is Cheerios, sliced bananas and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It’s important to give your body carbohydrates; this fuel will help you push yourself that much harder during a high intensity workout like CycleBar, and the potassium from the banana helps with avoiding muscle cramping. The other great thing about bananas is the extra boost you get from the sugar kick."

Avery: "I'm not always hungry right when I wake up, but I know I need some good carbs and fats to fuel my workout. I'll make a piece of Ezekiel toast either with Kite Hill almond milk cream cheese or Kerrygold butter. I'll also sprinkle some cinnamon on top and make a cup of coffee to take with me on my walk to the studio. I add Vital Protein's collagen powder to my coffee with a little almond milk creamer."

While most mornings Avery relies on her collagen coffee, she also says that she loves to make "green tea in a thermos" and will drink that on her way to the studio too.

Post-Class

Clara: "Cucumber with smoked salmon and capers with a big glass of water. Cucumber is a detoxifying nutrient, salmon is a great fatty protein to help with muscle recovery, and capers because I have a major salt-tooth. It’s SO important to hydrate after class, we sweat a lot in that room and need to replenish the fluids we lose during class and after class. Hydrating after class also helps with muscle soreness."

In Between Two Classes

chocolate, candy
Aoife Leogue

Clara: "If I have two classes in a row, I bring a Luna Bar with me, and eat that between classes. Luna Bars are specifically created for women, so it has extra nutrients that women need most (and tend to lack). I try to save Luna Bars for days when I’m doing back to back high intensity workouts because they are a little high in sugar. But they give me an energy boost, have 9+ grams of protein, and taste like a dessert, so I’m all about it."

Avery: "I don't like to teach with a full stomach. I'll spread a Siete grain-free tortilla with nut butter and a banana or I'll roll it up with half of a smashed avocado, organic turkey, a squeeze of lemon & topped with a dash of the everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's."

Having the energy to teach multiple classes a day requires a balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats. With a little insight from some of CycleBar's toughest instructors, you're on your way to a properly fueled workout and a perfect post-class recovery to help you get the most out of your ride.