The best part about fall is, without a doubt, the delicious seasonal foods and flavors. Pumpkin spice lattes are a crowd favorite, but we shouldn't forget about all of the incredible autumnal foods that are just waiting to be eaten--and by foods I basically mean apple cider donuts. 

I was born and raised in upstate New York, the heart of apple country. Like any other self-respecting New Yorker, I've been apple picking more times than I can count. Apple picking's best kept secret is that the best part isn't the fresh-from-the-tree apples or the hot, sweet mulled cider. It's the fresh baked apple cider donuts that you can pick up at nearly any apple orchard. 

Therese Boccini

So What Are Apple Cider Donuts, Anyway? 

Apple cider donuts are cake-like donuts flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and of course, the apple cider that gave these sweet treats their name. They come in all forms: dipped in chocolate, smothered in powdered sugar, or my personal favorite, coated in cinnamon and sugar.

Now, don't get it twisted. These are not your everyday Dunkin' Donuts, came-in-a-box-and-are-slightly-cold-and-stale donuts. No, a good apple cider donut is served immediately while it's still warm and fresh. The outside is slightly crispy, not greasy or soggy, and the inside is soft, cakey, and light. They're sweet, but the flavor is more complex than simply sugar. They combine your favorite parts of fall pies, drinks, and fruits all into one little heavenly donut. 

What's The Best Way To Enjoy These Fall Delights?

Eat them with hot apple cider (pretty fitting), or milk, coffee or literally anything else that floats your boat. They're perfect as a breakfast for a big group (Thanksgiving morning, anyone?), a party, a snack, a dessert...the list goes on and on. Many orchard bakeries even make them year round, so you can get your fix around the clock.

Therese Boccini

Make Them Yourself

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try to make them yourself, (though I never have because I only need to drive 5 minutes down the road from some of the best apple cider donuts around). Check out this traditional fried donut recipe, or this (possibly) more healthy baked recipe. Even if you don't live near an apple orchard, you can still enjoy the flavor of fall. 

For me, nothing will ever compare to the taste of a freshly made apple cider donut from a local apple orchard, but I know not everyone's that lucky. Honestly, take apple cider donuts however you can get them: they're that good, and I'm sure you'll love them as much as I do. Trust me, you'll be licking your lips (and fingers) and running to get more soon enough!