Australian Christmases are unlike most others. It's usually upwards of 30°C, the beaches are crowded, and the barbecues are fired up. Although I see the appeal of snow and hot chocolate and cosy fireplaces, I'm pretty partial to hot Christmases—who wouldn't love a water balloon fight or a dip in the pool on Christmas day? 

The warm weather also means that our climate is less than ideal for a hot meal; rather, it's more suited for a lighter, colder meal. While a few Aussie households maintain the tradition of a Christmas ham or turkey, most Australian tables are loaded with seafood on December 25th. Here's a look at what Christmas lunch looks like in Australia.

Prawns

Monique Courtney

Let's get one thing straight: Australians don't throw shrimp on the barbie. We do, however, throw prawns on the barbie. Prawns are a staple in Australian Christmas lunches. They're easy to cook, delicious, and can feed tons of people. Here's an awesome recipe to try if you want to throw a few prawns on the barbie yourself.

Oysters

Oysters are another common Australian Christmas food. They're perfect for special occasions like Christmas because they pair really well with other fancy things like champagne and caviar. Although oysters may seem intimidating to make, they're actually super simple and will definitely impress all your guests—here's a recipe if you don't believe me.

Snapper

Monique Courtney

While there's not just one type of fish Australians like to eat on Christmas, snapper is a common fish as it has a really light, fresh, and almost sweet taste to it. It goes really well with avocado and mango, both of which are in season in Australia at Christmastime. Try out this delicious recipe next time you're in the kitchen!

Pavlova

Pavlova is a traditional Australian dessert and can be found in almost every household on Christmas day. It's beyond easy to make and is easily customisable to suit different tastes. The layers of merengue, whipped cream, and fruit make for the perfect combination of texture and taste. A typical pavlova (like this one) usually features berries and fruits that are in season, such as passionfruit and peaches. Personally, I like mine with passionfruit, raspberries, and shaved chocolate on top!

Pimm's

While the rest of the world sips on cosy, creamy, and spicy cocktails at Christmastime, Australians are usually found drinking Pimm's. Pimm's is a fruity, refreshing cocktail, usually served with tons of fresh fruit, mint, cucumber, and ice. It's sweet and delicious and super easy to drink. Sound good? Here's how to make it. This cocktail is especially great for Christmas because it's so easy to make in big batches! Pro tip: try substituting the ginger ale or lemonade for champagne—it is a holiday, after all.

While the holiday season is fun no matter what or how you celebrate, I personally love Australian Christmases best (even though I may be slightly biased). It's always an amazing time filled with sunshine, family, friends, and consuming as much pavlova as I want.