With the seasons changing, new trends are beginning to emerge. And, trust me, I love wellness trends, but something I don't love is being taken down a rabbit hole of wasting time and money trying new things that offer no benefit.

The purpose of this list is to break down the most legit, buzzy, fun, and helpful wellness trends for fall. Not only are they cool to learn about, but they work, and most don't cost more than a couple bucks. From breathing for a longer life, to apps that track your period, to eating for your skin, this list definitely has something for you to try this fall.

As much as I believe in my recommendations, make sure these products and practices feel good to you intuitively before trusting some random person on the internet (aka me). Remember, wellness is about feeling good, not being pressured into something you don't have trust in.

1. Femtech

Listen up, ladies! With the resurgence of  "period power" is the introduction and fast growing industry of Femtech, or female technology. These are things such as period apps to help you stay synced, kegel trainers to strengthen the pelvic floor, and natural tampons. There is so much more technology out there to help women not only feel confident in having a vagina and a period, but be able to manage it more effectively. These apps and new technological advances are paving the way for periods to be destigmatized and normalized. 

Thankfully, the shame and hush-hush surrounding periods continues to diminish as time goes on. It seems as though people are beginning to realize they are all here because of periods, and that it is a natural thing to occur in a woman's body, not something gross or dirty

If you're a woman who wants to know more about her period, her bodily functions, and her health as a female, I'd check out Femtech and experience some period power.

2. Green Beauty

More and more people are becoming conscious of the dangerous ingredients not only in their food, but in their products. Green, clean beauty is makeup, skincare, and all products that has no toxic ingredients and is fully natural. A lot of thought goes into nutritional consummation without knowledge that what we put on our skin is important, too, as everything gets absorbed into our bodies from our products. It is our biggest organ, after all. That is why it's becoming more known that run of the mill makeup and skincare is toxic

Changing my skincare routine came quickly and easily. Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing are very adaptable steps, but the makeup side is more difficult. There were so many products I knew and loved, but after reading more on what was going inside of my body through something as simple as concealer, I decided to make the change. It was overwhelming to say the least.

However, after doing some research, I found a plethora of brands and stores in NYC that sell all natural products, like Credo and The Detox Market. Even Whole Foods sells natural cosmetics brands such as W3ll People and ILIA. They are not only natural, but definitely get the job done.

Celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow and Jessica Alba have founded companies based around clean beauty, and awareness around the trend is rising rapidly. Taking care of your skin is especially important for the fall and winter seasons as the weather gets colder and skin gets drier.

At the end of the day, makeup is supposed to be fun, not stressful. So, whether you want to overhaul your entire makeup bag or are beginning to think about switching your mascara, any change is better than none.

3. Houseplants

Ah, the humble houseplant and how it has so strongly resurfaced in the wellness community. Now, you can barely scroll through Instagram without seeing a monstera bask in the sunlight or an ivy plant climbing someone's apartment walls (my favorite plant accounts are @leefromamerica and @thesill). 

I believe this is for a few reasons;

1. Plants are beautiful and can make any room more put together. Just looking at them feels like self-care.

2. Studies continue to prove that houseplants clean and detoxify the air, help release happy hormones in your brain from looking at them (like serotonin and dopamine), and may even help you gain energy and focus.

3. Influencers do things, we do things.

Collecting plants for my bedroom was such a fun process and waking up to them is a great way to start my day. Living in NYC can be tough for somebody who loves the outdoors, but houseplants put some nature into your life on a daily basis, even in the depths of winter.

4. Drinking Vinegars

Yep, you heard that right! Drinking vinegars (not to be mistaken with kombucha) are tonics based around apple cider vinegar, typically matched with water, natural fruit juice, possibly some sugar, and probiotics. So many publications have come out with studies on ACV and its benefits, and in my experience, the magic bottles have helped a ton with acid reflux. However, many say it helps with acne, weight loss, and immunity. My dad takes a shot of pure ACV every morning and loves it, but the tonics are way more bearable.

Another benefit is that they're delicious and filling too. Similar to kombucha, but without the culture and plus the ACV. The trendy drink is popping up everywhere this fall and even has it's own section at Whole Foods *gasp*. So, go pick one up, chug some vinegar, and feel the benefits.

5. Breathwork

You may not have heard of breathwork yet, but this season, you're sure to. Breathwork is a practice where breathing is the focus, with it's main purpose being reduced anxiety and stress. Doctors Richard P. Brown and Patricia L. Gerbarg wrote in their 2012 book, The Healing Power of the Breath: "Studies revealing that, by changing the power of breathing, it is possible to restore balance to the stress response systems, calm an agitated mind, relieve symptoms of anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), improve physical health and endurance, elevate performance, and enhance relationships.” Woah. That makes me want to make a commitment to taking those extra 30 seconds on a busy morning to just breathe.

Not only is it gaining popularity in major cities, but a scientific spiritual practice that works. In my experience, breathwork has grounded me in a way most meditations can't. You can practice it for ten seconds, or for multiple hours—that's why it's so cool and accessible. 

Breathwork is worth a try, and you're very likely to reap the rewards of spending a few minutes to practice it. You can do it through videos on YouTube, classes, or all by yourself. However you choose to practice, it will help. And all it takes is a breath.

6. Beauty Food

This is the topic I find myself most excited to write about—food for the skin!!! If you haven't figured it out yet, I love skincare. But skincare isn't just what you put on your face, it's what you put in your body. Food affects the skin more than anything else. 

Two and a half years ago, I went vegan for ethical reasons. What I didn't realize was that cutting out meat, dairy, and eggs would improve my skin more than any cleanser or serum ever would. I began eating not only for body health but for skin clarity and vibrance. It's safe to say it worked. Beauty foods usually contain lots of omega-6 and 3 fatty acids, vitamins E and C, beta-carotene (worth it, even though my hands turned orange), lycopene, and antioxidants. These nourishing acids and vitamins are in foods like avocados, walnuts, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, leafy greens, green tea, and even dark chocolate!

Eating healthy isn't always easy, and it's great to treat yourself. Rather than feeling pressured to slather on $100 worth of products, eat some skin food and see how everything improves. 

Skin, and more importantly skin from within, is super trendy this fall, and for good reason. Glow may be hard to keep around with the weather getting colder, but a couple of carrots and a square of dark chocolate is sure to help.

7. CBD

I'm gonna preface this section by first making sure you know that CBD is not straight-up marijuna. It's marijuana's THC-free, non-psychoactive cousin who happens to be super chill. To break it down, cannabinoids attach themselves to receptors in our bodies which cause them to induce various effects. Science! Trendy, right?

It's gaining popularity everyday, especially because wellness bloggers are always talking about it. Many swear by using it constantly, and claim that it offers pain relief, fights anxiety, inflammation, and cancer, helps acne, and more.

I haven't experienced benefits of that magnitude, but I will say that I've seen pretty calming benefits from taking a tincture consistently. Using CBD can also be fun, as there are now not only tinctures, but tons of products such as bath bombs, sprays, and lotions. I think it's especially trendy this fall, as people are more stressed than ever. Personally, I up my CBD in the fall when school is beginning and my classes get more challenging by the day.

There's no harm in trying CBD, and you might just love it. So, de-stress for a sec, hop in a bath with your CBD soap, have some CBD tea, then use your CBD cream. Can't forget your CBD tincture. Enjoy.

8. Self-Care

Bloggers and Instagram influencers, wellness-based or not, continue to talk about self-care and how necessary it is to implement into our daily lives. Self-care is any practice that allows you to show love and care for yourself. It could be anything from finally doing the laundry, to putting on a face mask, to making yourself a home cooked meal.

In today's go-go-go, fast paced world, slowing down and showing yourself love is so important. So much so, it is even a trend. For me, scheduling in those extra two minutes in the morning to sit and breathe or write a list of intentions can change my entire day for the better. The practices can be simple and quick, but they must be recognized. Though it may be hard to take a moment for yourself, slowing down and practicing self-care can actually help you focus better and be more creative.

This fall, self-care is getting major buzz, and that's because it's more important than ever. As school, work, and life pick up the pace, we need to listen to our bodies and make sure we're treating them right. It may feel impossible to consciously practice self-care everyday, but whether it's one deep breath, or an entire day of meal prep, it is important, because you are important.

So Many Trends, So Little Time...

As you can probably tell, there are some amazing and versatile wellness trends to try out this fall. I'm most excited for self-care, green beauty, and learning how to use my breath properly. 

If a trend feels intuitively good to you, try it! If not, it may not be the best for you. However you feel about these eight wellness trends for fall, I hope you learned a bit about health, wellness, and have some fun with it too. Happy and healthy fall, my friends.