Cookies make up one of a college student’s most important food groups. Both Chips Ahoy! and Oreos are perfect for studying, snacking, or meal supplements. Both brands are also constantly releasing new flavors, from the obscure berry Oreos to the clearly necessary fudge-filled Chips Ahoy! So a bunch of us college students decided to sit down and taste test four flavors from each brand and see which one did it better – a daunting task, but we did it for science. No cookies were harmed in the making of this article.

Chewy Chips Ahoy! Oreo Creme Filled vs. Original Oreos

cookie

Photo by Tiffany Eulalia

This first matchup was almost a landslide victory to the original Oreos. Although the Chips Ahoy! version isn’t bad, according to one tester, “it’s trying to be an Oreo, but it’s not.”

It tastes too similar to a Chocolate Chip Chips Ahoy!, with not a distinct enough Oreo flavor. The chewy texture of the cookie also was unexpectedly a failure, when compared to the original Oreo, which was delicious as always.

Winner: Oreos

Chewy Chips Ahoy! Birthday Frosting Filled vs. Golden Birthday Cake Oreos

cookie

Photo by Tiffany Eulalia

We weren’t fond of either brand, but if we had to choose, the Chips Ahoy! version is just slightly better than the Oreo – better, but not necessarily good. Both the Oreo and Chips Ahoy! are sickeningly sweet. The Oreo version tastes more like sugar than birthday cake, whereas the Chips Ahoy! has a slightly more distinct flavor, so it takes the win.

Winner: Chips Ahoy!

Chewy Chips Ahoy! Chocolate Chip made with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups vs. Peanut Butter Oreos

cookie

Photo by Tiffany Eulalia

In a surprising win, the Oreos overshadow the Chips Ahoy!. Complaints made about the Chips Ahoy! include a universal agreement that the peanut butter taste is extremely artificial.

As one tester said, “Reese’s seems like a great idea, but it doesn’t work.” The peanut butter Oreos were just better and didn’t have an awful aftertaste.

Winner: Oreos

Chewy Chips Ahoy! Brownie Filled vs. Chocolate Oreos

cookie

Photo by Tiffany Eulalia

For the last round, not only did the Chips Ahoy! cookie beat out the Oreos, but it was the best cookie out of the eight flavors. Both the texture and taste of the brownie feeling were extremely accurate and extremely tasty. The Chocolate Oreo is good, but just tastes like some plain chocolate frosting in comparison to the mouthwatering brownie you could be having with the Chips Ahoy!.

Winner: Chips Ahoy!

Final Scores

cookie

Photo by Tiffany Eulalia

Chips Ahoy!: 2 points
Oreos: 2 points
Result: Tie

When it comes down to it, both the Chips Ahoy! and Oreos have their strengths in this flavor showdown. Overall, it ends up being a tie.

The point of the matter is some cookies are better than others, but when push comes to shove, the best solution is to eat all of the cookies. Then everyone’s a winner.