College and caffeine go together like.... well, college and caffeine. Yale University's very own Verb Energy Co. knows that just as well as any of us. As someone who is always trying to find her next source of sleep substitution, I jumped at the chance to try Verb's newly formulated caffeinated energy bites, launching officially on May 1st. 

Nicole Laszlo

Verb was founded in 2016 by three Yale University undergraduate students: Bennett Byerley ('19), Matt Czarnecki ('18) and André Monteiro ('18). Their new formula, however, is nothing like the homemade, cellophane-wrapped bars they began selling on Cross Campus two years ago. With three new flavors, new sleek packaging and the same all-natural caffeine content, Verb is prepared to join the nutrition bar big-leagues with a new bite-sized subset. 

Nicole Laszlo

The new energy bars (or energy "bites," as Verb calls them) come in three flavors: Salted Peanut Butter, Maple Blueberry and Simply Cocoa. Each one packs in 65 mg of organic green tea caffeine (aka the same as an espresso) and clocks in at under 100 calories (aka much less than that pumpkin spice latte you pretend you drink ironically). Verb energy bites are also all gluten-free and vegan, meaning they fit into almost anyone's dietary preferences.

Nicole Laszlo

I waited until the morning after a particularly sleepless night to try the new formula (which really didn't take long-- thanks, finals). The bites most certainly perked me up, as advertised. Better yet, I didn't feel like I was ingesting a shot of chemicals because the entirely natural ingredients mean the energy bites taste like REAL FOOD and not battery acid.

My favorite flavor was the Simply Cocoa, which combines organic cocoa and almond butter (a match made in heaven). It tasted like I was eating a healthy candy bar, but without any of the added unnatural sugars and subsequent crash. 

Nicole Laszlo

Because I am a die-hard coffee snob, I will probably stick to my heavily ritualized morning cup. For the sleep deprived moments past 11am, however, I will definitely be reaching for my Verb energy bites. And if you are a PSL supporter (aka you don't really like coffee), Verb bites are a great substitute. They're the perfect pick-me-up to keep alert and focused through a full day of classes, workouts and inevitable late nights at the frats-- no, the library-- no, the frats.

Keep an eye out for Verb's new energy bites starting May 1, or text 415-915-8372 to order. Why, yes, Verb is a millenial's dream.   

*All photos were provided by Verb with their permission*