Snacks are an essential part of many of our diets. After all, who doesn't like an excuse to eat when it's not meal time? Naturally, since globalization has affected just about everything in our lives, popular snacks from around the world are becoming staples here, and our snacking options have become a whole lot more fun. Here are 5 foreign snacks that you have to try — we're obsessed!

1. Pocky

These pretzel sticks covered in chocolate are probably more common in Japan than Doritos are in America. They come in a variety of flavors from matcha to chocolate to strawberry. Their popularity in America has been boosted by several ice cream joints that serve rolled ice cream and ice cream in soft waffle shells, using Pocky as decorations on their instagrammable creations. 

2. Stroopwafel

A favorite of the Dutch, some Americans have probably eaten these before on United flights, where they are served complimentary with your hot beverage. It's recommended that you place the stroopwafel atop your steaming hot coffee or tea, so that the caramel or chocolate filling melts a little - simply heavenly!

3. Wasabi peas

Originally from Japan, these peas are crunchy, salty and packed with a great kick from the wasabi, these peas are super addictive and great to munch on with some cold beer or sake. They are becoming more and more common in America, so much so that Union Fare, an industrial-chic American restaurant north of Union Square in New York City, now serves a killer side dish where these wasabi peas are a key ingredient!

4. Choco Pie

A snack-time staple in Korea, these soft, pillowy pies are perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth. They have a marshmallow filling which is sandwiched between two layers of sponge cake, all encased in a thin chocolate coating.

5. Seaweed Snacks

Toasted with a little sesame oil and seasoned with salt or other flavors like chili lime, chipotle, or teriyaki, these delicious crunchy seaweed sheets from Asia have become one of the favorites among those looking for healthier snacks, and can be found all over the country in popular grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Low in calories and packed full of iodine and antioxidants, these are not only delicious, but also great for you. 

So next time when you're having a Friday night in or a house party, serve some of these snacks to impress your guests!