Remember when snacks had a time slot in our daily school curriculum? And who could forget going over to a new friend’s house and slyly surveying what snack options their family had in the pantry? Was that just me?

Anyway, throughout our childhoods we’re given a shocking amount of fruit-flavored snacks, and for some reason many of them fail to follow us into adulthood. Here are a few favorites you might want to revisit (and ones you should definitely keep avoiding) in order from worst to best.

5. Fruit Gushers

snacks

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

I know this probably won’t earn me any points right out of the gate, but I hate Gushers. I have always, since the beginning of time, hated Gushers. I can now confidently say that nothing has changed.

First of all, they just taste unnatural. Granted, they are entirely artificial, but still. Their thick gummy coating and mysteriously cold gel center make for one of the most unsettling combinations of all time. And to top it all off, they’re honestly a bit too sweet.

4. Lifesavers Gummies

snacks

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Among the fruit-flavored snacks I surveyed, Lifesavers Gummies were by far the biggest disappointment. When I was younger, I remember going nuts for these snacks. Even before actually consuming this treat, there was the rush of not knowing whether you were going to get a hard candy or gummy candy when someone offered you “Lifesavers.” I did not care for the hard candies, so the gummies provided quite the adrenaline rush.

But now I realize how awful these snacks actually are. They have a texture similar to an eraser, are harder than traditional gummies, and have terrible flavors with equally unfortunate colors.

3. Fruit Roll-ups

snacks

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

The box of these that I bought had Sizzlin’ Red/Yellow and Blazin’ Blue/Green. Two classic flavors for sure. I definitely forgot about the sugar-crystal texture these bad boys have, but other than that, my memory held out. These fruit-flavored concoctions are yummy enough to justify nostalgia, though they are pretty difficult to eat and will stick to all your teeth.

2. Strawberry Store-Brand Fruit Snacks

snacks

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

These are, of course, the classic generic treat comparable to Welch’s strawberry fruit snacks. I love these gummies because even as an adult, I feel like I’m having a healthy snack when I eat them. Need I highlight their strong source of vitamin C?

They’re actually substantial, don’t stick to your teeth, and are pretty adorable to look at. Plus, they aren’t too chewy and their sweetness isn’t overpowering at all.

1. Fruit by the Foot

snacks

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

AKA the snack everyone wanted, all the time. Fruit by the Foot is still wonderful, people. They have a strong and delicious flavor, plus a not-too-sticky texture. And they’re about as close as you can get to “experience dining” on a college student budget. I mean, this snack has the power to transform you into a chameleon, snake, or really any creature with a badass tongue. What’s not to love?