Do you ever walk into a supermarket and wonder why all of the produce seems to look perfect?  Where are the deformed carrots and the apples that are multicolored?  It’s true, supermarkets and farmers are prejudiced against their fruits and vegetables.  The ones they don’t think are perfect are just thrown away.  A French supermarket chain, Intermarché, decided to fight this practice.

Over a brief, two-day trial period, the market designated a small area of the produce section to “ugly” fruits and veggies.  They were offered at a 30% discount.  Shoppers were enticed by the fruits and vegetables because of their humorous posters and signs.  One poster in the advertising campaign read, “Ugly Orange- Makes Very Nice Juice.” Watch this TV ad for the ugly carrot.

Photo courtesy of adsoftheworld.com

Not only are the vegetables 30% off, but they fight the growing issue of food waste.  40% of all of food waste is produce, and if this clever idea catches on, wasted produce could be eliminated!  Supermarkets do not have legal aesthetic standards for their food, so selling and purchasing ugly tomatoes won’t cause the seller or buyer any harm.

Photo courtesy of adsoftheworld.com

The funny and captivating advertising campaign even intrigues children to try the produce.  Who wouldn’t want to eat a siamese twin carrot?

Photo courtesy of adsoftheworld.com

Hopefully these advertisements are able to convince even the pickiest shoppers to buy some “unattractive” produce, though most of it isn’t even that offensive. I mean, just look at how cute this clementine is! To spend less and produce less waste, eat all of your produce: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Check out these great, related articles: