Tired of the boring chain restaurants in College Park? Want to try something new and exotic? Don’t worry, if you hit up these hidden College Park gems, you’ll be able to brag all about your crazy world travels without even leaving the 20740.

Pupuseria La Familiar

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

Give your Taco Bell addiction a rest and venture down the road to a local Salvadorian restaurant for your rice and beans fix. Tucked discretely off Route One, Pupuseria la Familiar offers a casual atmosphere, friendly service and most importantly cheap, traditional Salvadorian food.

What To Get

• Pupusa Revueltas: Possibly the most famous Salvadorian dish, this thick corn tortilla filled with a mix of cheese, beans and chicharron (cooked pork meat) will satisfy your hunger without making you drift into a food coma before the check arrives.
  • Tamale De Elote Con Crema: A corn based dough wrapped in leaves and served with cream that is a great dish to share.
  • Platanos Fritos: Fried plantains with beans and cream that are the tastiest way to get your daily intake of potassium and fiber.
  • Horchata: Wash it all down with this cinnamon vanilla rice drink that inspired the classic Vampire Weekend song.

The Details

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

• Open for lunch and dinner, no alcohol served, take out optional
  • 8145 Baltimore Ave, College Park, MD 20740
  • Check out their Yelp page for more.

Spice 6

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

A little further down the road from campus, Spice 6 is worth the trip for a modern take on authentic Indian food that will only put you back around $10. Think an Indian Chipotle: pick your ingredients (rice, protein, sauce like chutney and curry, veggies and other toppings) and then watch it all get prepared in their open plan kitchen that boasts a traditional clay tandoor over. With their extensive array of fresh options and sides like naan, you can be as healthy or indulgent as you want.

What To Get

• While the menu spans naan wraps, rice bowls, kabob entrees and salads, the real shinning star is the naan pizza. Think fluffy doughy goodness covered in spices and your choice of meats, cheese, veggies and sauces.

The Details

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

• Dine in or take out for lunch and dinner
  • 5501 Baltimore Ave, Hyattsville, MD 20781
  • To see their full menu, check out their website.

The Jerk Pit

college park

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

A little known gem of College Park, The Jerk Pit specializes in authentic Jamaican cuisine and a guaranteed good time with its relaxed atmosphere full of island vibes, karaoke nights, live reggae music and outdoor seating.

What To Get

• The service may be on island time, so enjoy authentic Jamaican sodas, signature rum punch or fruit juice while you wait for your food.
  • Rumor has it that their oxtail, callaloo and saltfish combo and festival are the best in the DC area
  • Regardless of how full you are and if your taste buds have recovered from the spicy flavors, end your Caribbean vacation with rum cake or sweet potato cake.

The Details

college park

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

• Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, sunday brunch and buffet
  • Dine in, delivery or take out
  • 9078 Baltimore Ave, College Park, MD 20740
  • Check out their website and order online here.