Eating on campus can be great considering the many places and vast variety of options, but after a while, the options can get repetitive. If that’s the case, a burst of new flavours and spices from different countries might be the key to getting you through the end of the year.

Japan

flavors

Photo courtesy of @food4carmen on Instagram

Japanese food is no stranger to the Guelph community. W-Sushi and Cherry Blossom are just a few household names, though I bet most of us had our first bite of “little Japan” at Fuji Sushi in downtown Guelph.

This small ACYE sushi place is great for exploring Japanese classics such as sushi, tempura, and teriyaki chicken. Payment options are your meal plan or cash, which comes with the added bonus of a 10% discount on select days.

Hint: if you are feeling a little unorthodox, try ordering according to this.

China

flavors

Interestingly, there is a scarcity of Chinese restaurants in Guelph. The most well known is probably Double Dragon, a popular spot among students for their combination plates that include items like egg rolls, sweet n’ sour chicken balls, chicken chop suey, and more, all for a small price of $6. On top of this incredible deal with a heap of food, they accept meal plans.

India

flavors

Courtesy of food.ninemsn.com

The taste of India has a strong hold in Guelph. From Hollywood Bistro to Bombay Cafe, their extensive profiles cover the essence of what Indian cuisine has to offer. As a notable mention, Diwa Classic Indian Cuisine has great options for students who want to try something new and exciting. With their popular dishes like butter chicken and chicken tikka, you will not be disappointed with these locations.

Korea

flavors

Guaranteed to satisfy any cravings you incur from your addiction to k-dramas and k-pop, Soora in downtown Guelph serves up some amazing classic Korean food, like the pork and kimchi soup and bibimbap.

Middle East

flavors

Helmand Kabab is an Afghani restaurant serving all your favorite kebabs and shawarma. Their large portions and custom options are sure to keep you going back for more. Guelph also hosts other shawarmas places with different cultural versions. Take Manouche Grill for example, it offers shawarma with a Mediterranean twist and you can also pay with student meal plans. Or if you find yourself drunk and hungry in downtown Guelph after a night of partying, Tangy and Tasty Shawarma Palace opens late into the night.

Italy

flavors

Photo courtesy of Buon Gusto on Facebook

There is an abundance of Italian restaurants in Guelph. East Side Mario is always a safe option, but take it up a notch by trying out Buon Gusto. This classy restaurant is perfect for a casual night out while offering high quality Italian favourites such as wood-oven pizza, antipasti, freshly made pasta, and more. If you are looking for a more modern interpretation of pasta, head to York Rd Kitchen for some divine chocolate pasta. Mind blown.

Vietnam

flavors

If you are looking for some authentic vietnamese flavours in Guelph, look no further than Ben Thanh. It offers a diverse selection of curries, vermicelli dishes, and the ultimate Asian comfort food: pho.

Golden Basil located across from Stone Road Mall also deserves an honourable mention, especially as they paired up with CASS and now offers a 10% discount to CASS membership holders.

Mexico

flavors

Photo courtesy of @foodelventures on Instagram

Jump into spring with fresh and vibrant flavours from Mexico. Give the Fat Burrito or the newly opened Z-Teca a try, and leave the winter blues behind.

Are there places that we missed out? Show us how you travel the world in Guelph by sharing your #foodadventures with us @spoon_guelph on Instagram.