If you are a student, then you know how hard it is to stay on budget while eating healthy. It is easy to stock up on ramen noodles and chips (not that they aren't good), but that kind of diet doesn't feed our bodies the right nutrients. I am not gluten-free by choice, so I adjusted my diet to still eat everything I want. I have found a staple list of items to get at Trader Joe's for $35.49. This list is mainly vegetables, but I eat protein with every meal too.

I am a planner, and by mapping out my week, I’m able to eat all the fresh produce I get. This not only saves me money, but also reduces my food waste. I typically eat the same meals, but you can create many different variations with all of these ingredients! I usually allow myself two nights of take-out to fulfill any cravings I'm having during the week.

Veggies are the first section I hit at my local TJ’s, here is my list of go-to produce

Vegetables:

Zucchini ($2.29)

Each container can last about two to three meals depending on how much I want to use. I usually pair them with another vegetable, or add them to egg whites in the morning for a quick and easy breakfast. My favorite way to sauté them is with butter and fresh garlic, or garlic powder if I don't have fresh garlic on hand.

There are usually three or four in each package, and I usually use one per meal. Sometimes, there is even extra to save for another meal! I either sauté them with mushrooms, or bake them in the oven with cheese. Typically, I use parmesan or a three-cheese blend, but you can use whatever kind you have on hand!

Mushrooms ($2.69)

Bell Pepper ($1.19)

Bell peppers are so colorful and fresh! I get one bell pepper and split it into two meals. Lately, I've been enjoying having a bell pepper with sandwich fillings as a snack! Typically, I will sauté them with other veggies and seasonings.

Onion ($.79)

An onion can last me a while. My favorite way to eat it them is caramelized. I really like pairing caramelized onions and sausage (see below for some of my favorites from TJ's!) with some mustard for lunch.

Spinach ($1.99)

A bag of spinach can go a long way. I use spinach in my morning egg white scramble and on all my sandwiches. Spinach can be added to almost every dish I make!

Refrigerated foods:

Muenster Cheese ($3.99)

This cheese is a perfect cheese for sandwiches, and usually has about 12 slices per pack. I use this in my sandwiches and a little in my egg white scrambles.

Turkey ($4.99)

This reduced-sodium turkey is my go-to lunch meat. The package is two ounces and I use one slice per sandwich. When I run out of bread or peppers, I like to make turkey and cheese roll-ups for a snack.

Sausage ($3.99)

Trader Joe's has an extensive line of sausages and bratwursts, and my seasonal favorite right now is the Sweet Italian Style chicken sausage. There are many flavors like Garlic Herb, Sweet Apple, and Smoked Andouille to name a few that I like.

Egg whites ($3.99)

Pre-packaged egg whites are such a quick and easy breakfast. In my case, it's better than getting whole eggs because I'm not a fan of the yolk.

Frozen Foods:

Gluten-free Chicken Nuggets ($4.99)

These chicken nuggets are a must every time I'm at Trader Joe's. I eat these for lunch or anytime I crave a McDonald's chicken nuggets. Warning: You will want to eat the whole bag!

Bakery:

Gluten-free White Sandwich Bread ($4.49)

Trader Joe's has a variety of gluten-free bread options, but a staple is the gluten-free white sandwich bread. A loaf typically has about 12 slices, so I use about eight for sandwiches, and the other four for toast with egg whites. This bread is good for everything!

This list is a foundation for someone who mainly likes vegetables and meat. Pasta and rice are good also some of my favorite additions to complete a meal!

This amount of food can last me about a week and while it may seem repetitive, I am being more cost-efficient by sticking to it. It has been a journey adjusting to the gluten-free lifestyle, but luckily Trader Joe's has my back by constantly providing tasty GF options!

Cameron Patten