Spirulina is one of the oldest known algae in the world and known far and wide for its outstanding health benefits. From regulating blood pressure to controlling obesity and even improving your immune system, this green powder saves your body in more ways than one.

Do you know why salmon and other fish are so packed with Omega-3 fats? It's due to their ingestion of the ocean's seaweed and microalgae, which are (by themselves) chocked full of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids.

In simple terms, this makes microalgae one of the best sources for omega-3's (especially for vegans). 

But the powder by itself doesn't have the best taste. So, how can you sweeten it up? Or make it into something savory? Here are some recipes to incorporate this powerhouse food into your diet and make it taste good too.

1. Green Spirulina Smoothie Bowl

Yes, this is the most simple way to use a green powder: simply throw it into a smoothie. With spinach and bananas, this smoothie bowl recipe is an awesome way to load up on fruits and veggies.

2. Spirulina Energy Bites

With only three ingredients, these little bites are date-sweetened and loaded with healthy fats. You can also throw some cocoa powder in the recipe to up the chocolate game. Here's the recipe.

3. Mint-Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

This is a reality: healthy ice cream. Sweetened with frozen bananas and colored with spirulina, this awesome treat tastes exactly like mint chocolate chip ice cream! 

4. Spirulina Chia Pudding

With the omega-3 packed Spirulina, chia seeds are also high in essential fatty acids. This breakfast is not only sweet, but it's also loaded with great fats that we all need to stay healthy. So, why wouldn't you make it? 

5. Spirulina Pancakes

This recipe sounds the most amazing and looks the coolest. With blue Spirulina*, these colored pancakes pop on your breakfast plate... and your Instagram. Here's this awesome recipe.

*Green spirulina may be substituted for its blue alternative.

6. Spirulina Raw Cheezecake

This is for all you professional bakers—I will seriously pay someone to make this for me. With a sweet walnut-date crust and a creamy cashew filling, don't let the green coloring scare you away from this delicious dessert!

7. Vegan Spirulina Pesto

With classic Italian flavor, cheesiness from nutritional yeast, and protein from hemp seeds, this vegan pesto recipe pairs perfectly with any pasta noodle.

8. Brownie and Coconut Slice

This dessert is not only crunchy and sweet, but, number one has a brownie, and number two, it's packed with nutritious fiber and fats. So, go nuts.*

*Pun intended.

9. Chocolate Dipped Spirulina Shortbread Cookies

Adorable cookies dipped in chocolate, and there's Spirulina in them. What could be better? Here's the recipe. 

Spirulina, the wonder food, can be incorporated into a wide variety foods, ranging from desserts to pasta dishes. Providing omega-3s, protein, and vitamins, Spirulina doesn't taste the best on it's own, so why not throw it into one of these recipes? You'll be sure to wow any guest, trust me they won't even realize they're getting essential nutrients.