Feeling sick of breakfast at Marketplace or the Skillet? A little low on money? No worries, there are plenty of cheap tasty breakfast spots in Durham not far from Duke's campus.

Rise Biscuits and Donuts

At Rise Biscuits, you can get the house specialty righteous chicken biscuit with “hashpuppies” for just $6.50. Or if you are feeling something sweet, try their salted caramel donut for just over a dollar. Talk about a bang for your buck. 

Loaf

Take a walk downtown to Loaf for a ham and cheese croissant or kouign-amann to start the day off right. Or, if you happen to be at the Farmer’s Market on a Saturday morning, stop by their stand. Although it may be an inexpensive breakfast, Loaf does not skimp on the quality of the ingredients.

Elmo’s Diner

If you have time for a sit-down breakfast but do not want to go far, check out Elmo’s Diner. Chow down on some pancakes or eggs for 5 bucks, or get both for 8 bucks. Sounds like a steal to me. 

Scratch Baking

Scratch has it all: avocado toast, grits, biscuits, and what they are best known for, their pie. This spot adds a little flare to the basics, such as kimchi with grits and Mexican chocolate pie, but keeps the products affordable.

Foster’s Market

Stop by one of Durham’s best known eateries, Foster’s Market, for the omelet of the day or a fresh pastry on the weekend. If it's nice outside, you can munch and work on the patio. The food is so good and almost all $10 and under, making it easy enough to find an excuse to buy some extra goodies to bring back to your dorm. If Foster's isn't on your brunch bucket list yet, you're definitely missing out.  

Monuts

How does a breakfast bagel sound? Or maybe a donut? What about a biscuit? All of this and more can be found at Monuts, a Duke favorite. Breakfast here will only set you back a couple of dollars, as bisuits and bagels are just $1.50. You'll also find some of the most eclectic dishes in town at Monuts, making it a must visit. 

Take a stroll (or uber if you're feeling tired or pressed for time!) off campus to check out one of these tasty spots. I can promise you will not be disappointed.