Aluminum foil is probably something you’ve cooked with before but it’s not something you want inside of your food, which is what can happen if it reaches high levels of heat. This metal can have serious health effects and after reading this, you’ll never wanna stick it in the oven again.

aluminum foil

GIF by Rob Arrasate

This article from The Conversation proves there is a connection between high levels of aluminum intake and Alzheimer’s disease, bone diseases, renal impairment, and reduction of the growth of brain cells. However, small levels of aluminum are alright for the body and many foods contain this metal naturally because the earth’s crust is composed partially of aluminum.

aluminum foil

Photo by Hannah Lin

Aluminum can be found in antacids, processed cheese, baking soda, deodorant, and cookware. Cooking with it is where the problem really starts. Cookware has a layer to prevent the metal from leaching into food that the foil fails to provide. The aluminum foil will leach into your food and create levels of aluminum that are too high for your body to ingest safely.

aluminum foil

Photo by Abigail Wang

It’s even worse to cook with foil if your food is spicy or acidic. It just isn’t fit for going in the oven, and the higher the temperature the more aluminum will leach into your dish. According to the same article in The Conversation, “World Health Organisation has established a safe daily intake of 40mg per kilogram of body weight per day.” Cooking with foil will most likely exceed that number.

aluminum foil

Photo by Rachel Conners

Do yourself a favor and save the aluminum foil for your cold foods. If wrapping your chicken or fish in foil before sticking it in the oven is something you do daily, consider a different cooking method that will keep your bones and mind healthy.