We all know that eggs are good for you. They’re high in protein, low-carb, and the perfect way to start off your morning. However, I wanted to know the healthiest way to eat an egg, so I did a little research. Here are my findings, ranking this classic morning meal from the most to least healthy preparation styles.

1. Raw

eggs

Photo by Sherry Xiao

EW. I know, I know, but it turns out the healthiest way to cook an egg is to not cook it at all. According to New Health Advisor, cooking an egg can destroy some of the nutrients in the yolk, so eating them raw might be the best way to go. However, there are some major downsides to eating raw eggs. Not only can they expose you to Salmonella, but they also contain a protein that can lead to a biotin deficiency and create health problems, so proceed at your own risk.

2. Poached or Boiled

eggs

Photo by Justin Shannin

Poached and boiled eggs are great because you literally just need water – no oil, fat, or butter is necessary. By poaching or boiling an egg, you also limit the egg’s exposure to the air, therefore reducing oxidation to the yolk and maximizing the amount of nutrients in the egg. To learn how to make a poached egg in the microwave, click here.

3. Fried

eggs

Photo by Helena Lin

Fried eggs require some oil, so that’s why they’re ranked number three. However, if you use a healthier oil like olive oil, they aren’t so bad for you. So, if frying eggs is your favorite, there’s no need to feel too guilty. If you want to learn about the best way to fry an egg, check out this article.

4. Scrambled

eggs

Photo courtesy of @thefoodpornographer on flickr.com

And in last place comes scrambled eggs. Traditionally, you use cream to make scrambled eggs, which is not the healthiest ingredient. However, you do have the option to replace cream with skim milk or even water and then scrambled might not be the worst way to go. So, if you like your eggs scrambled, go ahead and scramble them up. You can even try this recipe to make a healthy egg scramble in the microwave.

Honestly, none of these options are horrible for you. It is more about choosing healthy ingredients to cook them with, like using olive oil instead of canola oil and substituting water for cream. So, eat your eggs the way you like them best, and the only bad egg of the bunch will be those who choose not to eat them at all.