Let’s face it: grocery shopping can be overwhelming, especially if you have any food or dietary restrictions. Though some enjoy this errand, many perceive it the way I do - as a chore. However, I recently discovered the app FIG, which stands for Food Is Good, and I can confidently say that it is changing the game of grocery shopping for the b​​etter. Here’s how.

Background

FIG was launched at the end of November 2021 with the mission of helping people understand what specific items they can eat at grocery stores, regardless of their diet. The application features 12 different diets, such as FODMAP, gluten-free, and lactose-free. The wide variety of diets differentiates the app from others like it, targeting more niche audiences. The app is especially popular amongst those on the low-FODMAP diet, as it is extremely challenging to memorize all of the restricted ingredients that are high in FODMAP.

Adding to the user experience, you can input any allergies and avoidances along with personalized lists of items you want to purchase from the grocery store. FIG has a team of registered dietitians who each specialize in a different area to help ensure the accuracy of the products; this eliminates the user trust issue. The application also provides advice regarding specific ingredients that you should avoid in addition to products.

Gracie Evans

How it Works

Before you go grocery shopping, select your personal shop from a multitude of stores: Whole Foods, Kroger, and Southern favorite Harris Teeters are just three options of many. After you select a store and input your restrictions, the software will generate a list of products that are diet-friendly, marked with a green checkmark. If the item may or may not match your diet, it will have a yellow icon. As you can guess, a red icon will appear if you should not have the item. This feature is arguably the most beneficial part of FIG as it eliminates the time-sucking nature of grocery stores – you are heading in with a game-plan.

But wait… there’s more! The most impressive part of FIG is the food scanner - which actually works. Once you go into a store, you can scan the barcode of any item and the app will reveal if it fits your limitations in seconds. You also have the option to browse recommended products that are curated to your diet.

Gracie Evans

I'm going to be honest - I initially thought FIG would be just another app that I used once and then deleted. However, I found that FIG is not only extremely beneficial to those with dietary restrictions and severe food allergies, but also to college students. We just don’t have the time to be idling around for hours in the grocery store; the more time on our plate, the better. If you want to learn more about FIG, check out their blog and this article from the founder. Food is good, but it’s even better with FIG. So what are you waiting for? Go download FIG and start shopping!