As I’ve entered into this world of adulting, I’ve had a few wake-up-call moments that have really given me a taste of what the rest of my life is going to look like when it comes to food and my health. Some of these could be things that you already know and maybe I’m just late to the party, but others are things you may have never realized before and need to know before it’s too late!

1) Food is expensive

Alright, this isn't exactly "breaking news" because I've gone to restaurants, bought snacks, and paid for food for years. But when you throw a week's worth of groceries on top of that? Forget it! Why are the unhealthy foods cheap, but the healthy, organic food is priced as if it's made of gold? I know it's about quality, but, seriously, I find it so hard to not break the bank while buying the foods that I actually want to eat.

2) Cooking takes effort

I really enjoy cooking. I find it super relaxing and a fun way to let out my creativity. But seriously? THERE IS NO TIME FOR IT! I usually trade off breakfast for more sleep, I'll buy lunch out, and have leftovers or the scraps in my fridge for dinner. Imagine what it's going to be like when a 9-5 job is added to my day! The time in the day will literally disappear!

3) Finding time to workout is hard

Speaking of no time in the day, I don't understand how people magically fit two workouts in their day on top of work and a functioning social life. I want to have fitness be a bigger component of my life and change my setting during the day, but how do people make time for it? Don't they value their sleep? Don't they just want to face-plant onto their bed after work like me?

4) My health actually matters

Alright. Time for serious stuff. As I'm coming to the end of my college career and started adulting, I'm starting to come to terms with my body. My body isn't the same as it used to be, and, as I age, it's going to be harder and harder to make drastic changes. As we get older, our bodies have less leniency with how quick they can bounce back from a bad meal, a crazy night out, or a negative aspect of your lifestyle. I want to be able to have an active and fun lifestyle, and starts with changes now before it's too late.

5) What I eat affects every aspect of my life

I've known this for a while, but it's just taken me a while to accept and deal with it. What you eat affects EVERYTHING in your life. Your mood, skin, mental health, social health, etc. The term "you are what you eat" is often scoffed off but it could not be more true. We store energy from food, and so our body changes from food and our quality of life is directly affected by food.

As I go on with my journey of adulting I hope to discover more things about food and how they affects my life. I'm looking forward to this ever-evolving experience and where it will take me.