A Michelin star is the most coveted ranking in the world when it comes to food, but did you know that there’s a competition every year just for dining spots in Asia? They push the boundaries of food and are understandably some of the hardest places to get a seat at. It might seem strange to put such an emphasis on what's the "best", but maybe by the end of this list you'll understand why these are the top 10 restaurants in Asia this year. 

1.  Gaggan

Only a little over five years old, this Indian (with modern twists) restaurant is now the #1 food spot in Asia for the third year in a row row. You might recognize them from Netflix's Chef's Table series, where the chef shows off his gastronomy skills.

Where: Bangkok, Thailand

2. Restaurant André

The brainchild of chef André Chiang, Restaurant André is a fine-dining restaurant that's taking French cuisine to a new level. With his "octaphilosophy" in mind, he serves up eight unique dishes inspired by what inspires him. 

Where: Singapore

3. Amber 

The dishes are decidedly Western, but they also take inspiration from the location of the restaurant with light Hong Kong influences. In case the full dining experience isn't for you (or your wallet) they have a drinks-only option that's great for wine lovers

Where: Hong Kong, China

4. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana

Besides ranking high on this list, the contemporary Italian restaurant has also been awarded 3 Michelin stars. With the nickname "The King of White Truffle", chef Umberto Bombana makes it clear that he knows what he's doing when it comes to a luxurious dining experience. 

Where: Hong Kong, China

5. Nahm

This restaurant has had a spot on Asia's Top 50 since 2012, and that's not expected to change anytime soon with their emphasis on fresh produce and classic Thai flavors like sweet, sour, salty and spicy.

Where: Bangkok, Thailand

6. Narisawa

The menu here changes with the seasons, and you can be sure to always find dishes that are both fresh and innovative. Chef Yoshihiro Narisawa is taking Japanese cuisine to new levels with his emphasis on gastronomy. 

Where: Tokyo, Japan

7. Nihonryori Ryugin

The inspiration as well as the produce for each beautiful dish comes from Japan. There is a perfect balance between contemporary cuisine and classic Japanese flavors. Wanna see more? Why not check out these videos, they're a behind-the-scenes look of the dishes at Nihonryori.

Where: Tokyo, Japan

8. Ultraviolet By Paul Pairet

Considered one of the most unique dining experiences in the world, Ultraviolet only serves 10 guests a night and they don't even know where they're eating! They're dropped off by mini-bus at secret location in Shanghai where they're then stunned by the high-tech restaurant's use of smoke, lights and music. 

Where: Shanghai, China

9. Odette

Having earned two Michelin stars in its first year of opening, Odette is no stranger to rave reviews. The modern French restaurant serves up classic dishes like foie gras, risotto, and even grilled octopus. 

Where: Singapore

10. Burnt Ends

Aptly named, this barbecue joint is unlike any you've been to before. They grill up everything on a custom grill with custom coals and aren't afraid to make things interesting. Beef isn't the only thing on the menu thought, they also serve fish, bird, and veg. 

Where: Singapore