Whether it be dapping toothpaste on your breakouts or smearing Elmer's glue on your blackheads, we've all tried the extreme, last minute skin care myths that claim to be the ultimate breakthrough. But let's be honest, those don't work -- especially for long term results. To achieve glowing, clear skin, the most effective way is approaching it from all angles. Here are some of my favorite glowy skin tips to incorporate into your routine that are sure to give you the glow you want. 

lemon, water, lemonade
Caroline Liu

Water

I know, the most obvious. While this isn't the most original glowy skin tip, it is one of the most crucial. I find the easiest way to get my water in is to chug one bottle right when I get out of bed. I find that once I hydrate myself right at the start of the day, I am much more likely to keep it up. Aim for 5-8 bottles of water. While that can sound like a lot, water is truly the best way to flush out all the toxins and bacteria that are clogging your pores. Starting by cleansing from the inside out will be much more effective in regulating your breakouts. Being thoroughly hydrated throughout the day also brings more moister to your skin, giving it that glow that we want.  

Collagen Protein 

A lot of times, clearing your skin involves more than just clearing current breakouts, but also signs of old ones. Incorporating more collagen into your diet is a great way to rebuild your skin, and get rid of acne scars. Along with adding strength to your skin, it also adds strength to your blood vessels - making your skin a lot softer! Collagen supplements come in many different forms, so you can really choose which one you like best. One way is to swallow it in a tablet form, but consuming it in a powdered form typically yields better results. You can buy the powder straight and mix it into flavored drinks or soups. There are also a lot of protein bars and coffee creamers that are specialized collagen supplements and taste really good. My favorite protein bars are the Kalumi Beautyfood bars and the Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars.

avocado pit, avocado, avocado halves

Healthy Fats

Healthy fats are the MVP of breakout fighting foods. Grab all the avocado, peanut butter, and even dark chocolate that you want. Healthy fats keep your skin flexible and they help to protect from UV rays. Most importantly, healthy fats are one of my favorite glowy skin tips. Salmon, chia pudding, and caviar -- if you're feeling fancy -- are all great sources of omega-3 dense foods. Make sure to be incorporating omega-3s into your diet as they work wonders for moisturizing and strengthening your skin.

Infrared Sauna

One of my favorite ways to clear out my pores from the inside out is through infrared sauna sessions. Not only is it relaxing and rejuvenating, but the benefits on your skin are amazing. After 15 minutes in the sauna you start to sweat, which is your body getting rid of all of the built up toxins below your skin. Make sure to drink a lot of water afterwards to hydrate your skin with clean fluids. Trust me, your skin will be glowing after just one session.

Quick Fixes

Some glowy skin tips involve fixing smallest details of your daily routine. One thing I started to do was flipping my pillow everyday. It definitely goes unnoticed how much bacteria can build up on your pillow at night, causing breakouts that you don't know the cause of. Another tip is to stop touching your face. This habit can be really hard to shake, especially when you're sitting in class or watching TV. Something that helped me shake this was to play with a hair tie in class so you're hands are focused on that and not spreading bacteria to your face. Lastly, an easy way to give yourself a mini-facial at home is to use a vegetable steamer to steam your face. Steaming your face works wonders for getting rid of blackheads!

As you can see, the road to clear skin has many paths. You can truly pick and choose how many of these glowy skin tips you want to incorporate into your routine, but they can be as easy as taking a bigger scoop of guac on your chip!