One of my biggest regrets is only ordering cheese pizza as a kid. I distinctly remember walking into pizzerias growing up and gazing up at the massive toppings list just to say- "yeah no, I'll stick with cheese." In an effort to repent for my pizza-filled sins, I've decided to try new, out-of-this-world toppings as much as I can. From my short experience as a toppings-guru, I've decided that some toppings can be really good in theory, but terrible in practice. Lucky for you, I've accumulated a list of toppings that any pizza fanatic should try because they taste so incredible! 

Leeks 

I love, love, love leeks! They are a member of the onion family but have a much more nuanced flavor than a yellow or a white onion. On a Neapolitan pizza, leeks crisp up just enough to both retain their onion-y flavor but also provide a satisfying "crunch" when you bite into them. I was first exposed to leeks at the pizza restaurant I work at (Folino's Pizza in Burlington). One of our most popular pizzas is the Leeky Chicken, made with an olive-oil base, three-cheese blend, leeks, buffalo chicken, bacon, and finished with a house-made ranch swirl. Although I opt for buffalo cauliflower, vegan cheese, vegan ranch, and extra garlic on my pizza (lovingly called the Leeky Vegan), I still have a soft-spot for all things leek. 

Eggplant

Has you or someone you know felt personally attacked by a poorly cooked eggplant dish? After all, this vegetable carries a bad rap because it's notoriously watery and tough. But when it's sliced thinly and pre-baked before it goes on a pizza, it provides a wealth of new tastes and textures. And think about the possibilities of combining the two greatest foods ever invented: eggplant parmesan and pizza! 

Maple Syrup

Did you know I'm from Vermont? If you couldn't tell already, Vermont maple syrup makes everything better. While you might not be surprised when this sweet concoction makes its way on top of your pancakes, you might be more hesitant to try it on a pizza. But, pair a maple drizzle right-out-of-the-oven with any meaty topping and you won't regret it. I prefer a drizzle just on my crust instead! 

Apples

Does fruit belong on pizza? Pineapple sure doesn't, but apple does! As long as it's thinly sliced and paired with the appropriate complementary toppings (may I suggest goat cheese, bacon, spinach, or maple syrup?) it can be a beautiful, crunchy addition.

Pesto

I mean, tomato sauce is cool and all, but it gets wicked boring! Try a pesto base if your local pizza shop offers it; you can pair it with other summer-y toppings like peppers, leeks (of course), onion, spinach, and arugula. 

Kimchi

If you haven't questioned my sanity yet- you should start now. Kimchi is a Korean food made from fermented veggies and spice. Not all kimchis are super spicy, but some certainly can be! Since I love eating kimchi normally, I decided to try it on a pizza. I really enjoyed how the crunch of the kimchi complimented the warm crust; truly a match made in heaven.