Muhlenberg College is small. It’s not in a bustling city, but that does not mean their isn’t great food if you know where to find it.

On campus there are only so many places to eat, so the key is knowing what’s good and what you can order that isn’t exactly on the menu. If you are looking to venture off campus, the same rules apply. The trick, as a Muhlenberg student, is being in the know.

Whether you are looking to get turnt or get dessert, there is always somewhere to go.

1. When you’re craving something natural: Allentown Fairgrounds Farmer’s Market

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @mulesvb on Instagram

Whatever you are in the mood for, whether it is straight up fruits and vegetables or organic ice cream, the farmers market has it. Only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday this place is a local treasure. The market is home to more than 60 local vendors selling everything from produce to gluten free foods.

What to order: Hard to say what is best here as they offer such a variety of food and drink. Whatever you decide on though, be sure to check out the ice cream vender for affordable and delicious ice cream. You won’t believe how much ice cream is in “one scoop.”

Location: The Allentown Fairgrounds, 1825 W Chew St, Allentown, PA 18104 (10 minute walk from Seeger’s Union)

2. When you need a burrito: Cali Burrito

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @sarahalmazan on Instagram

Hands down the best burrito in the area. They also have other options of course, like quesadillas and tacos. Maybe my personal favorite part of Cali is the salsa bar, which has different types of pico de gallo laid out, and you can take as many little containers as you want. Another added bonus is that chips come with your order, no extra charge and they are incredible (especially the puffy ones).

What to order: You truly cannot go wrong here with a burrito, especially if you choose to make your own. My personal order consists of chicken, brown rice, cheese, sour cream, extra guacamole and pico de gallo, but they have it all.

Location: 3104 Hamilton Blvd, Allentown, PA 18103 (5 minute drive from campus)

3. When you want a quick snack: The General Quarter’s (GQ)

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @spoon_muhlenberg on Instagram

If you don’t have the time to run off campus, or even to go to the dining hall, then GQ is the best option. It has a deli counter, a grill, a salad bar, a sushi station and they even make burrito bowls to order. They also have pre-made sandwiches and salads in addition to tons of other packaged snacks if you are in a serious hurry.

What to order: Lots of people are fans of the grill, and arguably this is the best representation of what GQ can do. The Bagel Bomb is always a hit.

Location: Muhlenberg College, 2400 W Chew St, Allentown, PA 18104, Seeger’s Union

4. When you want a real salad: Saladworks

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @mystians on Instagram

With a variety of combinations to choose from, as well as a make-your-own option, Saladworks has everything you could want in a salad. In addition to salad, they also have soups. Perhaps the best part though is that the salads comes with a warm bread roll.

What to order: Totally depends what you are in the mood for, but the Buffalo Bleu salad comes highly recommended. It includes chopped romaine & iceberg blend, all-natural chicken, original buffalo spicy sauce, grape tomatoes, banana peppers, tortilla strips, bleu cheese.

Location: 1403 N Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown, PA 18104 (7 minute drive from campus)

5. When you need comfort food: Trivet Diner

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @alexandraduddy on Instagram

Trivet is your typical diner, which is exactly what you need sometimes. The food is good, and the atmosphere is comfortable. The wait staff are all friendly, and didn’t even roll their eyes when I watched a group of ten come in at midnight one early morning. All in all it’s a really good place to go when you are in need of some traditional diner food and comfort.

What to order: Trivet has lots of great comfort foods, but the milkshakes are especially good. Not only are the shakes good on their own, but they add whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles on top, which is always a fun.

Location: 4549 West Tilghman Street, Allentown, PA 18104 (10 minute drive from campus)

6. When you want pizza: Tavern on Liberty

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of Tavern on Liberty on Facebook

Being NY born and raised, the first time I had pizza from the Tavern, it was not what I was expecting. However, once I managed to expel my preconceived notions of what “real pizza” is, the Tavern pizza became one of my favorite meals. It’s also very affordable, and extremely close to campus, which makes it that much better.

What to order: Pizza.

Location: 2246 Liberty St, Allentown, PA 18104 (2 minute walk from campus)

7. When you have to have sushi: Bamboo Asian Cuisine & Sushi Bar

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @daniellerockman on Instagram

When you want some good sushi, Bamboo is the best place to go. It’s a quick drive from campus, and the wait is normally not that long. If you are willing to pick up, then it is even more efficient, especially if you have some errands to run in the same shopping center.

What to order: Personally, I am not a fan of sushi, so I turned to a friend who is a sushi connoisseur. She orders the peanut avocado rolls. Good news is that even if you aren’t a traditional fish sushi fan, Bamboo has plenty of vegetable sushi options as well.

Location: 345 S. Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown, PA 18103 (5 minute drive from campus)

8. When you need coffee ASAP: Java Joe’s

Muhlenberg college

Everyone knows that coffee is a main food group in college. Sometimes though, you need it and don’t have the time to run off campus. When this happens, Java Joe’s is your go to place. Java Joe’s serves Starbucks brand coffee, and can make you pretty much anything they make over there, and they take berg bucks!

What to order: Again, coffee is totally a personal preference, but I would recommend asking the baristas. Some of them have speciality drinks that they make, so if you are feeling adventurous, order what they suggest!

9. When it’s a special occasion: Apollo Grill

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @apollogrill on Instagram

Though Apollo is a little farther than the other locales on the list, it is my personal favorite. It is nice enough that you feel you are doing something different than the typical college food scene, but not so nice that you are stressed with what to wear. This place is also perfect for when your parents are coming to take you out for a birthday (assuming they are treating you). Just a heads up, be sure to make a reservation.

What to order: Being one of my favorite restaurants makes it extremely challenging to pick one thing to order. Whatever you choose for your main course though, get the nachos to start. Just do it.

Location: 85 W Broad St, Bethlehem, PA 18018 (20 minute drive from campus)

10. When you want to grab a drink: Tavern on Liberty

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @lr_visions on Instagram

In addition to being a pizza hub, the Tavern is also a great bar. The vibe you get going to pick up a pizza versus hang out and have a beer is totally different, so it just depends on what you want to utilize the Tavern for that night. It’s practically on campus, and so a popular place to grab a drink.

What to order: If you are a beer person, check out what is on tap.

11. When it is froyo time: Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt

Muhlenberg college

There is not much to say about Menchie’s aside from the fact that is is incredible. If you want convenient, delicious frozen yogurt with a plethora of topping options than Menchie’s is where you want to be. If that isn’t enough to make you go, it also happens to be right next to Bamboo.

What to order: Everything is incredible, but they change their flavors up, so be sure to use the taste cups before you fill your cup. The cups are right out on the counter, you don’t even need to ask!

Location: 353 S Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown, PA 18103 (5 minute drive from campus)

12. When you want some good chocolate: Chocolate Lab

Muhlenberg college

Photo courtesy of @elle_eme on Instagram

Sometimes, you just need some high end chocolate. If that’s the case, Chocolate Lab is where you need to go. It is the perfect place to go and grab some chocolate when you are spending a day in Bethlehem. The store is so cute and the chocolate options are unbelievable.

What to order: Try a “snapping turtle,” a salad plate sized cluster of nuts covered in milk or semi-sweet chocolate. The base comes in cashew, pecan and assorted nut so you really can’t go wrong.

Location: 446 Main St, Bethlehem, PA (20 minute drive from campus)

Want to join Spoon University’s Muhlenberg chapter? Apply here!