Life has been turned upside down lately, and small businesses and locally owned restaurants are definitely feeling the pinch. One of the best things we can do these days is support small, local businesses by ordering food, (or if you're not comfortable doing that, gift cards) so that they get a little business too. If you're feeling nostalgic for the days when we were allowed to step outside, check out ten of my favorite places to order Poughkeepsie take out! 

1. Mexicali Blue

With a location in Wappingers Falls and New Paltz, Mexicali Blue is double the delicious. Their menu has all the classic Mexican food that you're looking for, along with some crazy twists like the Maple Mango Chicken quesadilla or their Short Rib Burrito, which the Food Network has named one of the best in the country. The best part? You can order their killer margaritas for takeout. I know what I'm doing this Taco Tuesday! 

2. PC's Paddock 

I'll admit that I'm a little biased on this one, because I've worked at this restaurant since high school. The huge and varied menu boasts sandwiches, burgers, steaks, and pastas, but the most exciting option has to be their chicken wings, which they smoke themselves on the premises. For a little something sweet, check out the Asian Cowboy wings, or set your mouth on fire with the dry rubbed Devil's Butter wings. Order yourself a side of the tavern fries. You won't be disappointed. 

3. Zoe's Ice Cream Bar

This place is one of my favorite summer hangouts, and I've spent hours at the picnic tables with my friends after a day in the sun. Believe it or not, they do sell things other than the fresh cow to table ice cream made with local ingredients-- their food is killer as well! The lamb burger is a nice switch from your usual fast food order, or you can keep it classic with a burger made from local beef. 

4. Athena Gyro

Right next to Zoe's sits Athena Gyro, a local Greek restaurant where I've been a frequent customer (partially because a friend used to work there, and who doesn't love harassing their friends at work). You can pick up classic Greek food like Souvlaki or the namesake Gyro, or keep it light with a Greek Salad. If someone in the family isn't into Greek food, they have a lot of more Americanized options as well. 

5. Rossi's Deli

Rossi's is a Poughkeepsie institution, and you can pick up one of their heavenly sandwiches while still social distancing if you want to treat yourself. While I've never had a panini that didn't blow my mind there, I particularly love the Rosemary Grilled Chicken or the Mediterranean, featuring grilled eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, artichokes, and roasted red peppers. I promise you, this place lives up to the hype. 

6. Sloop Brewing Co. 

Beer and pizza: now can you go wrong with that? While I'm not a huge beer drinker, Sloop's Juice Bomb IPA has taken the world by storm, and you can order it for delivery or pickup to wash down one of their oven fired pizzas. Here, it's not so much about the food as the drink, but is that really a problem? 

7. Mill House Brewing Company

If you're looking for more food options than you can find at Sloop, Mill House is the brewery for you. In normal times, it's a fun place to hang out that frequently features live music, but the food is great too! Like Sloop, they sell pizza, but they also sell more funky dishes like Buffalo Fried Brussels Sprouts, Kielbasa and Pierogies, and a pulled pork burger. They keep their beers interesting, too, with a cucumber cream ale and their Kilt Spinner ale. 

8. Hudson Ribs and Fish 

If you're looking for something a little more on the fancy side (think, celebrating a birthday or an at-home graduation), hit up this Hudson Valley classic. You can pick up some of their delicious clam chowder or their famed popovers with strawberry butter, as well as treating yourself to a delicious surf and turf entree. Happy eating! 

9. Tomas Tapas Bar and Restaurant

Tomas is a little taste of Spain, right here in New York. While they only offer takeout from Thursday to Sunday, they've amped up their usual menu of classic tapas to include barbecue. This place is great if you're looking to mix it up a little, and if you close your eyes, you can pretend you're living it up in Barcelona. They switch up their offerings pretty regularly, so make sure you check their Instagram to see what they're serving in advance. 

10. Blue Fountain 

Therese Boccini

Look no further for a classic Italian restaurant that will serve up all your old favorites (makes me wish I was still on Arthur Avenue)! You can pick up takeout from Blue Fountain on weekends, and for dessert, their cannoli will NOT disappoint. 

*Bonus Round* Brotherhood Sangria 

Brotherhood Winery is considered to be the oldest winery in the U.S., established in 1839, and they've certainly updated with the times. They make what has to be the best white sangria that I've ever had, and you can buy it by the BOTTLE. I'm not kidding. You can literally order a case of these bad boys to your house, or if you're willing to drive out to Washingtonville, pick it up yourself. No food here, but I promise you won't be disappointed. 

There are tons of restaurants around here, so these are only some of my favorites. So if you're getting sick of your own cooking, check out one of these local places and try something new. Happy eating!