Coming home for the holidays is arguably one of the best feelings in the world. After a long semester of staying up all night at club lib (or an actual club, IDK your life) it’s finally time to go home to relax, catch up with family and friends, and eat some bomb sugar cookies. 

The best food hands down are holiday cookies. After months of eating dining hall cookies that more often than not resemble hockey pucks, it’s about time to sink your teeth into these freshly baked pieces of heaven. 

Sugar cookies are the classic holiday cookie. They’re buttery with just the right amount of sweet that can satisfy even the biggest sweet tooth. But, if we’re completely honest with ourselves, they are a complete nightmare to make. If you’re one of the few that make it out with their sanity and kitchen in tact, you must be some domestic god or goddess, and I would like you to teach me your ways. We could try this sugar cookie recipe if we were feeling adventurous, but until that time comes, I have compiled a list of the top 5 store-bought sugar cookie doughs so you can make it through this holiday season with what little composure you have left after finals week.

5. Pillsbury Peppermint Sugar Cookies

candy, butter, cake, cookie
Laura McMann

This dough came already pre-mixed so all we had to do was put it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven. While promising, the crumbly texture and lackluster peppermint taste sealed it's fate at the bottom of the list.

4. Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough 

cookie, biscuits, peanut, peanut butter, butter
Laura McMann

Like it's peppermint counterpart this dough came pre-mixed and rated high on convenience. However the lack of sweetness and texture were nothing to brag about. Overall, Pillsbury took a major loss on this dough.

3. Foodstirs Organic Sweet Tooth Sugar Cookie Mix 

chocolate, butter, biscuits, cookie
Laura McMann

These cookies tasted like heaven with the perfect mix of sweet and buttery. But the mealy texture reminded us more of cornbread and not a cookie. The weird texture combined with a super lengthy prep process is what landed Foodstirs in the middle of the pack.

2. Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix 

cream, biscuits, chocolate, butter, cookie
Laura McMann

These cookies had a light airy texture and buttery flavor. With it's low price of $2.19 the only thing missing is a little more sweetness. (Nothing that a little frosting couldn't fix. ;) )

1. Annie's Homegrown Organic Sugar Cookie Mix 

candy, cake, butter, pastry, chocolate, sweet, cookie
Laura McMann

These cookies were just the right amount of sweet and buttery. Combined that with their crispy edges and chewy middle it's clear we have our winner. Plus it's organic (#bougie) so you won't feel bad going back for seconds or thirds.

It's near impossible to go wrong when munching on some Holiday cookies but next time you're wandering the aisles of the grocery store be sure to look out for Annie's Homegrown. Trust me your wallet and tastebuds will thank you.