Deciding how to decorate for Halloween is definitely one of the best parts of the holiday. There's nothing like stocking up on the newest candies and carving pumpkins to put you in the Halloween spirit. But what if you could celebrate Halloween and raise awareness for an important health issue? Luckily, you can. Meet the Teal Pumpkin Project. Read on to find out how this initiative is making Halloween safe for children with food allergies.

What's Up With the Teal Pumpkins?

The Teal Pumpkin Project began in 2014 when the FARE (Food Allergy Research and Education) launched a national campaign to raise awareness of food allergies during trick-or-treating season. Halloween can often be a challenging time for many families, as most traditional candy isn't safe for their severely allergic children to touch or eat.

The purpose of the Teal Pumpkin Project is to raise awareness of these allergies and promote inclusion, and participation is easy. Just put a teal pumpkin or Teal Pumpkin Project sign on your front porch and stock up on non-food treats or toys. If you do this, trick-or-treaters will know that you will be handing out goodies that everyone can enjoy. And that's it! That's all you have to do. 

Why Is This So Important?

Food allergies are more common than you might realize: One in every 13 American children live with one. And don't forget that this number doesn't include kids with food intolerances or other dietary restrictions. Giving these children the opportunity to trick-or-treat for something that won't make them sick is essential. Let kids be kids! 

Think about your childhood memories of Halloween. The costumes, the candy, the pranks—don't you think all kids deserve a positive experience? Putting out a teal pumpkin is one way for you to make this a reality.