The Beginning

So let's begin with the basics of the "Black Girl Magic" recipe and no I don't mean flour or eggs, that can come later. The term "Black Girl Magic" was coined in 2013 by CaShawn Thompson This piece of magic was born as a way to celebrate the beauty, power, and resilience of black women.

Well, it's 2017, and "Black Girl Magic" has yet to go out of style, but over time it has gone misused and over used. People sprinkle "Black Girl Magic" on everything like it's hot sauce. Now don't get me wrong, I love hot sauce but like in life, everything in moderation. 

The Recipe

To me, the secret to "Black Girl Magic" is being resilient, confident, and being yourself.

Resilience:

It has been 245 years since slavery was abolished and racism is still a relevant issue in today's society. And guess what WE Black people are still here. Our ancestors didn't back down and why should we. In case you still don't believe me, here are a few ground breaking African American women who are resilient. Artist/activist Nina Simone and Misty Copeland, just to name a few.

By the mid-1960's Nina Simone was known as one of the voices during the Civil rights movement. Her songs "Mississippi Godamn", "Four Women", and "To Be Young Gifted and Black". Theses songs conveyed a deeper message within them, especially after the 1963 Mississippi Killing of Medgar Evans and the four African American girls killed in the Birmingham Alabama church bombing. Each song reveals her views and emotions of that era, vocalizing the social issues during that time. Due to her musical shift and activism in her career, some radio stations and venues would refuse to play her music or book her out of fear she would speak freely on stage about controversial social issues. The freeze out would not stop her. Nina Simone continued to create music that mattered to her. Thanks to that hard boiled resilience the world remembers not only her music but the impact she has made on individuals whether how big or small.

If music doesn't move you then how about Misty Copeland, who broke the 75 years long dry spell of American Ballet Theater. Ms. Copeland in 2015 was named the first African American appointed as a Principal dancer (i.e. highest rank dancer at a Ballet company).

With such an honor bestowed on Ms. Copeland let this be a reminder that you can become anyone, you wish to be. Ms. Copeland overcame the odds and achieved the honor of Principal dancer, despite going into a career predominately white. Why? Because she persevered and overcame her obstacles. According to the New York Times in an interview at the Metropolitan Opera House, she stated

“I had moments of doubting myself, and wanting to quit because I didn’t know that there would be a future for an African-American woman to make it to this level.” 

Well, Ms. Copeland, we're glad you didn't quit because now you are a role model for all black girls to never give up on yourself or your dreams.

Confident:

Excuse me, America! But when I stand in front of the mirror, I believe seeing that the bright Black woman looking back at me, is capable of anything you'll throw at her. Why? Because

That's only the surface of this mental breakthrough. Black Girl Magic is about multiple factors to assist in the empowerment of Black girls. To me, the secret to "Black Girl Magic" is being resilient, confident, and being yourself. This phrase is a spell to be used on yourself, to realize your own worth and beauty when others want to take that away from you.

Being Yourself

It's a long journey and I'm still figuring it out after 23 years. I've always struggled with self-confidence and my appearance due to societies misconception of beauty, especially geared towards women of color. For decades society has viewed black women as ugly because of our coarse hair and of course our skin color.

Yeah, society! I'm talkin' to you, but also to myself for allowing society to instill in me that I will never be pretty enough compared to the next girl. The media has tainted how beauty is interpreted in society often leaving little black girls out of the equation. From TV to magazines and billboards black girls were raised with the notion that their skin is not beautiful. By promoting skin lightening creams, perms, etc. Black girls were influenced and led to believe being black was ugly and for 245 years during slavery that was the consensus. It's 2017, and we're still dealing with archaic ideology about beauty. Black women are still trying to conform to these unrealistic ideals, so they don't get labeled as the Jezebel, Mame, or the "Angry Black Women." That's why it's important to be confident, the world starts out against you, but with a confident spine and a well-driven mind, you're a force to be reckoned with.

Chemical X: Melanin

As a young black woman, the term "Black Girl Magic" has been used so often enough that this term's definition was lost on me. Is the secret to "Black Girl Magic" sugar, spice and everything nice?

If so, unlike Professor Utonium, I'm substituting chemical X with Melanin. Yes, that's right, Mel-la-nin. With this secret ingredient, I'm defining my own recipe, for "Black Girl Magic." Loving your various shades of melanin (a.k.a. that brown sugar) is important because it is a part of you. Sure there will be haters out there, but if you love what you are born with, those insults won't phase you. It's hard enough out there with the rest of the world judging you, but the only voice that should matter is your own. Don't give other's the power to look down on you because you look different. Individuality is a secret ingredient you should love and honor. So Love your melanin, it's your strength, so own it!

Self Reflection

When I look at my reflection now I no longer see a little girl clinging onto her knees as her mother spends 6 hours using a hot comb to tame her natural curls,  better yet I don't see a young women who has to hold back her anger when a guy says your "pretty for a black girl".

”Black Girl Magic” is a spell to be used on yourself, to realize your own worth and beauty when others want to take that away from you. So ladies if you are ever lost or need a reminder of how powerful you are just stand in front of the mirror, click your heels three times (totally optional)

and recite to yourself your own unique recipe for Black Girl Magic. Is it sugar spice and everything nice? Or is it resilient, confident, and being yourself ? whatever it maybe the next time you use #Black Girl Magic I hope you know what it means for yourself because the secret to Black Girl Magic is you