America's largest city is home to a diverse population of people, culture and food (of course!). As a Staten Island-born foodie, I won't deny that my favorite part of the city is the food. New York City has a wide variety of restaurants and food carts which lends itself to unique terms and slang. So, without further ado, let's take a look at the 10 NYC food slang words that locals use in the Melting Pot!

1. "Bialy" [bee-ah-lee]

You could say that the bialy is the bagel's distant cousin. This delicious flatbread has a warm, toasted bottom and chopped onion baked into its doughy center. The bialy originates from Poland but can now be found at various bakeries and bagel shops around the city including Russ & Daughters and Kossar's Bakery.

2. "Dirty Water Dogs"

No, I don't mean actual dogs - or dawgs - but I do mean hot dogs! You're bound to see a hot dog cart on every corner as you walk from block to block. Vendors will keep hot dog links in boiling water at their carts until they're ready to serve. NYC locals tease that the water must get filthier and filthier throughout the day - hence "dirty water dogs" - but even if that is the case, it doesn't stop them from stopping by for a quick and cheap bite!

3. "Gyros" [jahy-roh]

Locals have added their NYC flair to the pronunciation of the Greek dish which is actually pronounced as "yee-roh". With roasted meat - usually chicken, beef, or lamb - topped with onions, various crunchy vegetables and a creamy tzatziki sauce all bundled up in a soft pita pouch, this sandwich packs a punch of flavor! Yelp names Uncle Gussy's and Gyro 96 as just two of the many places to grab a great gyro.

4. "Lobster Palace"

These fine dining establishments are almost as regal as they sound. Around the turn of the 20th century, fancy restaurants received this nickname since lobster was often the signature dish on the menu. This trend has died out since its popularity way back when, but it's still a fun fact that is worth dancing about.

5. "Piecaken"

This multi-layered dessert consists of small pies baked into larger pies and then stacked on top of each other. Talk about a sweet tooth! But before you decide that this treat is too decadent for your diet, take a look at The Piecaken Shop's masterpiece of pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and apple upside-down cake layered together with cinnamon buttercream. Swoon.

6. "Cat Cafe"

Yup, you can actually enjoy a cup of coffee with some cute felines. Even if you're more of a dog person like I am, you have to admit that this is pretty cute! Meow Parlour - New York City's first cat cafe - opened in 2014, giving local cat lovers a place to hang out with some purr-fect critters in a home-like setting inspired by similar cafes in Asia. Since many NYC residents can't have pets in their apartments, this is a cool trend for city-based cat lovers.

7. "Grab A Slice"

New Yorkers don't buy pizza; they grab a slice. And with 362 pizza joints in Manhattan, there are plenty of slices to grab! Some of my personal favorites are Don Antonio and John's of Times Square.

8. "Wait On Line"

Fact: New Yorkers wait on line instead of in line.

#SpoonTip: When you get to the front of the line, you better know your order because things move very quickly in the big city!

9. "Schmeer" [sh-mear]

Cream cheese on a bagel is endearingly known as schmeer. Nothing like a simple classic!

10. "Bodegas"

Bodegas may look like small, convenient grocery stores on the corner of the street, but the more than 10,000 bodegas throughout New York's five boroughs contain friendly, hard working owners and lots of quick pick-me-ups. From frozen treats and breakfast sandwiches to candy and beer, bodegas are truly integral to the life of an NYC foodie.

By taking a quick look at the various food trends in New York City, it's easy to notice the diverse blend of cultures and its infusion into American life in New York City. We can anticipate that the city's bustling population will only continue to evolve new jargon and new trends in their thriving home of New Yawwk over the years to come!