The Miracle Tree

Could products made from a plant known as the “miracle tree” be a better way to nourish the body and help fight COVID-19?

That’s true according to the World Health Organization, which reports that the Moringa oleifera, or miracle tree, is one of the sources of herbal medicines that much of the world will depend on for health care. And it can strengthen immunity to fight viruses such as COVID.

The market research company Technavio predicts the moringa products market will grow to $3.55 billion from now until 2024, according to an article in the Business Wire.

As a vegetarian, I stumbled onto the moringa in my search for a healthier diet. I have been adding moringa oil to my morning tea and the powder to my daily tonic of ACV, ginger and turmeric for over a year. I have seen and felt the results in both my overall skin texture and in my energy level.

An eight-ounce bag of powder costs about $10, and a four-ounce bottle of oil is $18. Both will last about six weeks and can be found on Amazon.

According to a research study conducted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 100 grams of moringa contains more vitamin C than oranges, more vitamin A than carrots, more calcium than milk, more protein than yogurt, more potassium than bananas, and more iron than spinach. One tablespoon of this superfood will supercharge your day and revamp your health.

Pamela Lynn

Just How Good Is It?

Moringa is rich in antioxidants, which are compounds that act against free radicals that scavenge our bodies in chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes II. Moringa may also reduce inflammation, the body's natural response to injury. In recognition of the plant's value, the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization named it the Traditional Crop of the Month in September 2014.

The Perfect Tree

A moringa tree can grow up to 20 feet within the first 18 months. However, they are best to be pruned frequently to grow a prosperous tree of leaves, flowers, and pods. All parts of the moringa are edible. Along with the fast growth rate of the moringa is its ability to grow in the grim conditions. It likes sandy soil and is drought tolerant. Moringa may be the perfect food source and produce for our planet’s current climate.

Moringa is fast becoming an important crop in India, Ethiopia, the Philippines, and Sudan. It is currently being grown in parts of Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, Florida, and the Pacific Islands.

In Florida

Moringa farms can be found in Southwest Florida. A few are popping up in Tampa and Zephyrhills. The trees can be grown at home in yards or in patio pots.

Despite the super-food marketing tag and commercial trappings big business has placed on the moringa, it has the properties to become a credible food source for food-insecure and malnourished people worldwide.

If you enjoyed this article check out this other Spoon article all about health benefits of spices and herbs.