Gone are the days of Redfords. Long gone are the days of Philly's. That ever evolving spot on South University Boulevard is now home to Four Friends Kitchen, a Southern-inspired mod brunch spot that does not disappoint.

Kayleigh Kearnan

I visited this spot for breakfast last week and was immediately impressed with the modern yet whimsical appearance of the restaurant, from the futuristic swinging chairs outside to the bold and colorful painting featuring the restaurant’s logo on the inside. I was particularly impressed by the orange and white chairs designed to look like bare trees.

Kayleigh Kearnan

It was a school day, so we were seated immediately and served hot coffee soon after by friendly and attentive staff. I’m picky about coffee when I go out to breakfast, so I was very pleased when I tasted mine and discovered that it was quintessential diner coffee — strong yet smooth with no frills. If you happen to visit on a morning where you’ve got nothing important to do, there is a long list of brunch-friendly cocktails worth checking out including classics such as mimosas and bloody mary's among more quirky options such as the beermosa (thank god those are finally socially acceptable!).

The food menu is extensive and overwhelming at first, so if you’re indecisive like me, it may be worthwhile to check out the menu online before stopping in. It features southern staples such as grits, beignets, and chicken and waffles as well as southwest-inspired options such as huevos rancheros and a breakfast burrito. There are also creative salads, sandwiches, and small plates for lunch and options for vegans, vegetarians, gluten-avoiders, and carnivores alike, so everyone should be able to leave the restaurant in a state of bloated bliss.

Kayleigh Kearnan

I decided to go all out for this meal and order the most southern-sounding dish I could find that aligned with my pescatarian habits — the Crab and Fried Green Tomato Benedict with a side of the Four Friends signature BBQ potatoes. This was the richest and frankly most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten for breakfast, so if you like crab I’d recommend that you go out and order it immediately. Seriously. My carnivorously inclined friend ordered the Bluegrass Benedict, a Benedict dish topped with hickory smoked pork belly, collard greens, and pickled pepper relish and was similarly pleased with the outcome.

Kayleigh Kearnan

I have only scratched the surface of the Four Friends menu but I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the area. The staff is friendly, the coffee is perfect, and the food leaves you eager to come back and try something new. Four Friends Kitchen, DU welcomes you!