Every time I tell my friends I’m lactose intolerant and can't have something because it isn't dairy-free, I usually get the same response: “Just take a Lactase pill and have it!”

If only it were that easy.

I usually get severe reactions- anything from rashes/hives to fevers that leave me bed ridden. So, I’m always on the search for dairy free/vegan substitutes. I love to find replacements that are similar to or even better than the “real” deal!

That being said, here are some of my go-to substitutes when you want to bake or cook a recipe which you thought you couldn’t, just because it wasn’t vegan or dairy free.

Vegan/Dairy-Free Substitutes

Meringue 

Replacement: Aquafaba 

How To Make Aquafaba?

Whipped Chickpea CAN Water OR to make the water from scratch:

1. Soak chickpeas in water for 8-10 hrs.

2. Remove the chickpeas.

3. Add them to a pot.

4. Add 8 cups of water.

5. Bring the chickpeas to a boil, and then use that water once it has cooled down! 

With aquafaba, you can make amazing things like this chocolate aquafaba vegan mousse that I made!

1 egg = 1 TBSP Flax Seeds + 3 TBSPs Water

OR 1-2 TBSP of Aquafaba OR 60mL Sparkling Water (1/4 cup) OR 60mL (1/4 cup) Apple Sauce

Butter

Replacement: Margarine OR Any Dairy Free Butter

My Favorites: #1  Country Crock Almond Plant Butter#2 Miyoko's Vegan Butter#3 Forager Organic Dairy Free Butter

Milk 

Replacement: Oat Milk (One of the thicker plant based milks, so that usually works better than other milks!)

Gelatin

Replacement: Agar Agar Flakes/Powder or Ground Chia Seeds (You can grind them in a coffee grinder!)

Whipped Cream

Replacement: Whipped Full Fat Coconut Milk (You literally just whip it! Electric whisks will become your best friends.)

Cream Cheese

Replacement: Homemade Vegan Cream Cheese (1 cup cashews soaked for 1-2 hrs, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp white vinegar, 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk, 1-2 tsps salt, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder) or Miyoko's Cream Cheese

Cheese (Slices/Shredded)

Replacement #1: Go Veggie Cheese Slices

Honestly, this cheese tastes the closest to real cheese and is sold everywhere! 

Replacement #2: Trader Joe’s Lactose Free Almond Mozzarella Style Shreds (NOT Vegan, ONLY Dairy Free)

Replacement #3: Trader Joe’s Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds