I’m going to be bold and say that I think mug cakes are one of the best desserts out there. They're delicious, portable and perfectly portioned for one person. Not to mention, they're one of the most customizable desserts. What exactly is it that makes this staple dorm dessert so amazing, though?

What Is A Mug Cake?

cream, sprinkles, milk, sweet
Julia Poorvu

Mug cakes are exactly what they sound like, cakes made in mugs. What makes these cakes so special, however, is that they can be cooked in the microwave. It takes little to no time to prepare and bake (it takes me on average five minutes, depending on how together I am). It's easily accessible for anyone, but they truly shine in a college dorm. Most people have access to some kind of microwave, whether its in their room or a common area,  so mug cakes are easily made for everyone.

How Can I Make One?

french onion soup
Emma Weir

You’re probably thinking: “Mug cakes! Wow! I want to make one of these ASAP!” I’m here to tell you, it’s not as difficult as you would think. All it really takes is a few basic ingredients, a mug and a microwave. That's it. There’s plenty of recipes all over Pinterest and a quick Google search will yield hundreds of results for different recipes. My favorite recipe is inspired by “Table for Two's” “Moist Vanilla Bean Mug Cake.” I always loved strawberry shortcake, so my cake is a little spin on that one.

Problems

flour, milk, cereal, dairy product, bread, coffee, wheat, dough, sweet

There's only a few problems with mug cakes. One of them is that mug cakes tend to be a little dry, so Table for Two’s inclusion of vanilla bean paste is amazing! I omitted it in my recipe because, frankly, I can never find it at the grocery store and it’s only really necessary if you want a true vanilla taste. I usually follow this recipe pretty closely (foregoing the paste when I don't have it), add in some strawberries and top it with whipped cream! Suddenly, your vanilla mug cake is transformed into a strawberry shortcake. 

There's no limits to everything you can create with a mug cake. Add some cookies, some coco powder, or some peanut butter. Even better, make them with your friends and you can each customize the cake to your own taste, since each cake is the perfect size for one person. If you aren't the baking or experimenting type, Betty Crocker released a line of pre made mug cake mixes that taste great and are very easy to prepare. They come in flavors ranging from Brownie to Carmel Cake. They can be found at most grocery stores (I've seen them at Publix and Walmart in Tuscaloosa and Jewel in Chicago). Their only downside is that some flavors tend to be a little dry (i.e. the Confetti Cake) but some flavors (Brownie) don't have that problem at all.

Where Can I Buy One?

coffee, espresso, cream, chocolate, milk, cappuccino, mocha, sweet
Megan Clarkson

There's no limits to everything you can create with a mug cake. Add some cookies, some coco powder, or some peanut butter. Even better, make them with your friends and you can each customize the cake to your own taste, since each cake is the perfect size for one person. If you aren't the baking or experimenting type, Betty Crocker released a line of pre made mug cake mixes that taste great and are very easy to prepare. They come in flavors ranging from Brownie to Carmel Cake. They can be found at most grocery stores (I've seen them at Publix and Walmart in Tuscaloosa and at Jewel in Chicago). Like homemade mug cakes, their only downside is that some flavors tend to be a little dry (i.e. the Confetti Cake), but some flavors (Brownie) don't have that problem at all.

Whether you're the kind of person who wants a whole cake to themselves, or the kind who would rather have a small, rich chocolate cake, mug cakes are the perfect solution. Customizable to your taste and perfect size for one, these cakes are the best idea for a Friday night in, or a midnight-snack.