Every kid looked forward to Halloween, not for the costumes or for the ability to stay out after dark, but for the bags and bags of candy that would weigh you down on your walk home. But there'd always be that candy that made you want to throw it back at the house you got it from, along with all the candy you love.

Here's a definitive ranking of the Halloween candy that you're likely to receive trick-or-treating, because we know adults can't resist handing out the classics. 

1. Reese's

cake, cream, sweet, butter, peanut, candy, peanut butter, chocolate
Laura Palladino

Ah, the combo of peanut butter and chocolate. What more could you ask for as a pick me up after you stomp home with aching feet and a sugar high? Reese's definitely topped my list of Halloween candy, and I would trade with anyone who offered to get more in my bag.

2. Twix

cake, caramel, peanut, peanut butter, butter, chocolate
Arden Sarner

Caramel mixed with chocolate and crunchy wafers is hard to beat, in my books. Finding one of these at the bottom of your bag of Halloween candy was always a pleasant surprise.

3. Swedish Fish

A classic movie theater snack, it also happens to go great with Halloween and costumes. These gummy snacks were always a great treat to munch on during class the day after Halloween.

4. Skittles 

Tulsa Williams

Fruity and mini, these are great for those who can't tolerate a complete dose of chocolate and need something to break up the monotony. Plus, it's almost like it counts for your daily servings of fruit, right?

5. Milky Way

Sometimes too rich to completely enjoy, this candy does not disappoint, however. Creamy caramel mixed with marshmallow -like filling definitely transports you off to a milky way full of flavor.

6. M&Ms

m&m, sweet, chocolate, candy
Alex Frank

There's nothing wrong with the classic chocolate flavor, and M&Ms give the consumer that. Though nothing particularly special, they're always a reliable source of comfort and chocolatey goodness.

7. Sour Patch Kids

Sour. Sweet. Gone. And probably burning your taste buds off with the sting of the sour while you're consuming them. For sour fans, this candy is for you, and for those who aren't the biggest fans, they're still a great non-chocolate choice.

8. Kit-Kats

candy, chocolate, sweet
Nicole Witte

Though Kit-Kats could double as the lesser cousin of Twix, they're still delicious, especially if caramel isn't your thing. Plus, they come in minis, and in white and dark chocolate now - more variety to spice up your Halloween candy.

9. Candy Corn

chicken, cheese
Grace Smith

Love it or hate it, there's no in between. Personally, I love the stuff, but for those who hate it, I believe it belongs down here on the list of Halloween candy. I say give it another taste if you fall into the 'hate it' category, but there's plenty of other options on this list to keep you satisfied. 

10. Snickers 

If you're allergic to nuts, I'm sorry for all the houses that gave you a Snickers bar. But to those of you who aren't allergic, you're not you when you're hungry, and after Halloween these are a great way to stop the hunger.

11. Twizzlers

Decent, but nothing special unless you're watching a movie, Twizzler's epitomize the sigh you probably let out when you realize all there is to eat in your caf is chicken... again. Good luck trading Twizzlers for a different, and better candy.

12. Almond Joy

goody, cream, cake, chocolate, candy, sweet
Jayna Goldstein

One of my least favorites when I was younger, it was a definite downer when I saw this in my Halloween candy collection. I always called it an 'old person' candy because I thought only adults considered almonds to be candy, and my opinions have not yet changed. 

13. Popcorn Balls

Why take a wonderful snack and turn into something inedible? I appreciate the effort from those who would hand them out, but  next time keep in mind that the trick-or-treating demographic does not include popcorn ball lovers.

14. Apples

Fruit, Healthy, apples in hand, red apples, fuji apples, 3 apples, apple

The best part of Halloween is the candy, and apples are not candy. Period, end of story. To the parents who try to encourage kids to be healthy: this is the one night of the year where you simply cannot.

15. Pretzel Bags

This is not candy, and they are not sweet. Therefore, they do not belong in a bucket of Halloween candy. I'm sorry, there can be no arguments on this statement. 

This is by no means a comprehensive list of Halloween candy, but be sure to trick-or-treat in your neighborhood or around your dorm. Better yet, bring a bag of your favorite to give you the sugar rush you need to keep you going through the Monday after Halloweekend.