Like all other physical activities, a dance class not only demands that you keep your energy levels up, it also calls for concentration, focus, and strength. One way to meet these expectations is to eat right before the class. Not eating before a dance class can be extremely risky, leaving you feeling weak and exhausted.  

Research says to eat at least 1-2 hours before the class instead of immediately before the class begins. Dance class translates into a great deal of physical exhaustion, pain, and soreness. Eating properly can possibly help you alleviate some of the soreness and exhaustion a dance lesson inevitably begins. Here is a rundown of the food items that will energize and nourish you and, above all, help you keep your focus.

1. Hummus and Pita/Vegetables

Karan Kapoor

Hummus is exceptionally nutritious and pairs scrumptiously well with pita bread and/or vegetables. In addition to being a good source of protein and fiber, chickpeas used in hummus are high in iron, folate, phosphorus and B vitamins. It can be a particularly good snack for vegetarians and vegans who may be lacking in these nutrients. You can stir-fry an assortment of vegetables like carrots, broccoli, mushroom, bell peppers or better yet, simply eat them raw alongside hummus. After all, vegetables are a relatively healthier option compared to pita bread. Health freaks, this one is for you!

2. Peanut Butter with Banana or Apple

Karan Kapoor

One apple or banana with peanut butter provides enough energy and maintains blood sugar levels. Peanut butter is rich in proteins (and also fats). The combination of peanut butter and fruit is healthy, delicious, and rejuvenating. Feeling adventurous? You can also make peanut butter hummus to get that additional boost of energy.  

3. Greek Yogurt and Granola

yogurt
Hannah Oh

Greek yogurt, which essentially differs from regular yogurt in the sense that the whey is strained out, is also thicker and creamier than its counterpart. It also provides a significant source of protein for a relatively small portion, and can be found in whole, 2 percent fat, and fat-free varieties. Eating it with granola makes for a healthy and hearty meal. Yogurt is food for your gut and granola is rich in fiber, a component that is essential for our body. Eating this combination before your dance class has health benefits like sustaining stamina. The perfect go-to snack!

4. Whole Grain Sandwich

Karan Kapoor

It is always a good idea to consume multigrain bread instead of whole wheat , in order to keep your carbohydrate consumption simplified and seize the benefits of the grains. Sandwiches made with mutligrain bread, piled with fresh veggies will keep you full for longer while providing the needed nutrition.

5. Avocado Toast

bread, toast, vegetable, herb, guacamole, avocado
Julia Maguire

I think all of us know the benefits of avocado by heart due to the far-reaching trend. Avocado toast is a tasty and filling snack to have before any sort of physical activity. Squeeze half a lemon on your toast for that citrus kick and remember that while these green beauties are easy on the stomach, they can invariably be heavy on the pocket. 

6. Nuts

Karan Kapoor

Nuts are often said to be the perfect snack. They are a great source of protein, unsaturated fat, fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Have an assortment of nuts, be it almonds, cashews, walnuts and pecans before the class. In fact, you can carry them to your class to eat in between, in case you feel short on strength.

7. Smoothie

Karan Kapoor

Smoothies are a blessing if you're running late for class. They're a thick blend of yogurt, sugar/honey, and fruits. The best smoothies are made with natural, all real, nutrient-dense ingredients that provide vitamins and oils necessary for good more complete nutrition. Just add some yogurt, honey and your favorite fruit(s) and blend. Voila, nutrition on the go. 

8. Green Tea

tea, green tea
Nicolecacolaa

Having green tea with your meal before dance class will not only help regulate your metabolism, but will also provide antioxidants that help in maintaining concentration. A wee bit of caffeine will help you keep alert during class.

Now I've covered the food aspect, it's your turn to go rock that pas de bourre.