I am originally from Boston, but now I live in Atlanta for college. When I moved down south, I knew I would not find much lobstah or clam chowdah here - but what I didn't know was that there was some AMAZING southern cuisine waiting for me. Here are my picks for the very best southern foods that the North is lacking. 

Biscuits

dough, bread, sweet, pastry, flour, dairy product, cake, biscuits
Mimi Takano

You literally HAVE to risk it for the biscuits. Buttery, flaky, soft, and crunchy, biscuits are one of those foods that are amazing at all times. Spread some jelly on top, make a biscuit sandwich, or try some non-traditional biscuit flavors - I can promise you they will ALL be absolutely delish. 

If you want to eat out, try Callie's Hot Little Biscuit (I am obsessed with the sweet potato biscuits). Or you can always make your own!

Chicken and Waffles

Whoever decided that it would be a cool idea to put fried chicken on top of waffles is a genius and also probably the love of my life. The crunchy chicken mixed with a squishy, sweet waffle will make you full for a week and is worth every single bite. Try out 10th and Piedmont's signature ATL BLT next time you want an absolutely decadent brunch. 

Grits

vegetable, dairy product, rice
Parsa Lotfi

Disclaimer: I used to think that grits were extremely disgusting. But that was before I knew that cheesy grits existed. Cheesy grits are like a savory, delicious, mashed-potato-oatmeal-mac-and-cheesy feast. The Flying Biscuit Cafe's cheesy grits are like eating a little tiny sliver of heaven. 

Fried Green Tomatoes

Obviously everything is better fried, but if you've never had a fried green tomato, you are seriously missing out. Green tomatoes are a bit more chewy and bitter than a normal tomato, so when fried, they become crispy and incredible. Iconic ATL restaurant South City Kitchen is known for their fried green tomatoes (and they make a MEAN fried chicken meal while you're at it). 

Barbecue

meat, bread, chicken, vegetable, cheese
Kelly McAdam

When you think of Southern cuisine, your mind almost always goes straight to BBQ. Ribs, pulled pork, tasty sauce, mac-n-cheese, coleslaw - the rumors are all true. Whether you prefer spicy wings or a sweet sandwich, barbecue joints are easy to come by and always enjoyable. Some popular college joints in Atlanta are DBA and Community Q, but there are so many more places (and sauces!) to try. 

So if y'all are freezing cold and hungry up there in the North, the food down here is a legit excuse to plan a trip. These amazing southern foods will make you start grinnin' like a possum eatin' a sweet tater!