February is quickly approaching and it is filled with fun holidays. During this month we’re celebrating everything from Valentine’s Day to Mardi Gras. But, did you know that February kicks off with World Nutella Day on February 5th?

Nutella, a sweetened hazelnut cocoa spread, is hands down one of the most delicious chocolate spreads out there. You can pair it with anything; try bread, a banana, or you can even grab the biggest spoon in the drawer and just eat it right out of the jar. Since everybody loves and craves Nutella, it only makes sense that there is a national holiday dedicated to it.

chocolate, jam, sweet, honey, milk
Hailey Maher

So, what even is World Nutella Day? The holiday was first celebrated in 2007 when blogger Sara Russo, a Nutella lover, decided that there needed to be a day to celebrate the product that she loved so much. However, it wasn’t too long until Ferrero, the company that makes Nutella, learned about Russo’s holiday and they took it over, which only made the holiday even more popular and celebrated.

Just like any other holiday, World Nutella Day deserves to be celebrated. Here are a few of the best Nutella desserts that everyone should make to celebrate the upcoming holiday.

Nutella Stuffed Pancakes

chocolate, banana, cake, cream
Elizabeth Philip

Pancakes are a great way to start off your day. A stack of delicious fluffy pancakes that is drizzled in maple syrup can really only get better by stuffing it up with some Nutella.

Here’s how (adapted from Recipe Tin Eats):

- 1 1/2 cups plain flour

- 3 tsp baking powder

- 4 tbsp sugar

- Pinch of salt

- 1 egg

- 1 cup and 2 tbsp milk

- 1 tsp of butter

- 10 – 14 tbsp of Nutella

Preparation:

1. Place the dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.

2. Make a well in the center and place the wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump-free (stop whisking as soon as it is smooth. Careful not to over whisk).

3. Melt 1/2 tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel. 

4. Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs (see recipe below) out of the freezer just before you start cooking. 

5. Dollop 1/4 cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc.

6. When bubbles start appearing around the edges (around 2 minutes), lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then, flip and cook until the other side is golden.

7. Repeat with remaining batter. Melt more butter in the pan after the 3rd or 4th pancake. You should be able to make 7 in total, but sometimes it makes 6, depending on how much batter you use on top of the Nutella.

8. Serve warm with sliced strawberries, if using. You could also serve with cream but I find that it's not necessary!

And for the frozen Nutella disc:

1. Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).

2. Dollop 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 2 1/2" / 6cm in diameter and 1/5" / 1/2 cm thick. Repeat to make 7 discs.

3. Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1 1/2 hours).

4. Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).

Nutella Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate, Reading, cozy, blanket, Winter
Emma Salters

The best way to warm up on a cold winter day is with a mouthwatering cup of hot chocolate. So why not add some Nutella to make it even better?

Here’s how (adapted from The Hungry House Wife)

- 1 cup milk (I use skim)

- 2½ Tbsp Nutella

- 1 Tbsp Cocoa

- Tiny pinch of salt

Preparation:

1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk all ingredients together until well-blended and hot.

2. Pour in a cup and top with homemade whipped cream and shaved chocolate.

Nutella Brownies

Danielle Chen

A warm Nutella brownie is definitely one of the best recipes to make while celebrating World Nutella Day. They are easy to make, and you can share them with your friends.

Here’s how you can make Nutella brownies (adapted from Buns in my Oven):

- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter

- 2 1/4 cups sugar

- 1/2 cup Nutella

- 4 large eggs

- 1 1/4 cups

- 1 teaspoon salt

- 1 teaspoon baking powder

- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional

- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

- 10 ounce package Hershey's Milk Chocolate Baking Melts (or chocolate chips)

Preparation:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking dish.

2. In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter completely. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow sugar mixture to boil.

3. Remove from the heat and stir in the Nutella until well- combined.

4. Pour butter mixture into a large bowl or , beat in cocoa powder, eggs, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.

5. Stir in the flour and baking melts until just combined.

6. Spread into prepared pan (batter will be very thick and sticky) and bake for about 30-35 minutes, until a tester comes out mostly clean. The edges should be set and the center should still look slightly moist, but not uncooked.

7. Cool on a wire rack.

Nutella Instant Iced Coffee

coffee, cappuccino, espresso, milk, mocha
Amy Cho

We all know that coffee is a must. Add a twist to your everyday go-to coffee to make it even better. This instant iced coffee recipe is delicious and only takes a few minutes.

Here’s how (adapted from Plateful):

- 4 tablespoons Nutella

- 2 cups chilled milk (I used low-fat)

- 3 tablespoons condensed milk

- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (I used Nestle)

- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence

- 3 teaspoons sugar, or to taste

- ½ cup ice cubes

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy. Pour into glasses and dust lightly with ground coffee.