The great American road trip couldn't be complete without a great food experience. Interstate 70 crosses through several states—stretching from Utah to Maryland—and exposes hungry travelers to locally-owned restaurants. Whether you're on spring break vacation or just looking for a new place to eat in your state, these Interstate 70 eateries are worth the stop.

Tamarisk Restaurant in Green River, UT

Starting on the west end of I-70, Tamarisk Restaurant is a riverside American-style diner. They serve classic breakfasts and sandwiches as well as southwestern cuisine. If you're out west, a stop to sample Tamarisk's Navajo fry bread should be on your itinerary. 

Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs, CO

If you're looking for a pizza place to feed a bunch of growling stomachs, Idaho Springs, Colorado, is your best bet. At Beau Jo's, they serve beastly thick-crust "mountain pies" (measured in pounds instead of inches) as well as thinner-crust "prairie pies."

Whether you're attracted to Beau Jo's commitment to go green or their Colorado Legendary 14er challenge pizza, everyone can find a slice they like.

Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Co. in Hays, KS

I'm convinced every college town has it's own microbrewery, and Hays is no exception. Gella's Diner and Lb. Brewing Co. occupy the same space, so the dining room atmosphere is a blend between rustic bar and classy diner.

Gella's serves their home-brewed beers, root beer, and cream soda. Along with an American-style lineup of burgers, steaks, soup and salads, and gracious desserts like crème brûlée.

Russell Stover Factory near Abilene, KS

Chocolate heaven is located just a few miles west of Abilene, Kansas. This Russell Stover factory right off I-70 also has an outlet store that sells homemade fudge, ice cream, coffee drinks, and ugly discount chocolates called "bloopers" in bulk.

It's a great place to get your chocolate fix, and my mom claims they have some of the cleanest bathrooms from Denver to Kansas City.

Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia, MO

With three locations in Columbia, Missouri, Shakespeare's Pizza makes a great place to catch up with Mizzou friends and get a bite to eat. They stay true to their pizzeria status, serving specialty pies, salads, and breadsticks.

One bonus is that their large pizza, measuring 16 inches in diameter, is typically considered an extra large at most other restaurants. So, you're getting more pizza for your money with a large from Shakespeare's. 

Fire-N-Smoke Wood-Fired Kitchen in Troy, IL

If you're crawling through Illinois and craving barbecue, a small detour to Troy is a must. Fire-N-Smoke serves traditional barbecue as well as street tacos and burgers. They're also very community-oriented; all of their ingredients are sourced from local producers and give 10 percent of their sales to a local charity on Sundays.

Bakersfield in Indianapolis, IN

tacos, salad
Madison Salomon

Tacos. Tequila. Whiskey. All of these treats can be found in the heart of Indianapolis at Bakersfield. Their claim to fame is having some of the best tacos in the state, but they also sport other authentic Mexican eats and an impressive bar. If you're down for a Guy Fieri-approved eatery, Bakersfield is your best bet in Indiana.

Alchemy Juice Bar & Café in Columbus, OH

Upscale yet affordable clean eating starts in Ohio at Alchemy Juice Bar and Café. Not only do they serve smoothie bowls and sandwiches, but they also have a registered dietitian on staff who provides nutrition services. If that's not whole, healthy eating at it's finest, I don't know what is. Stop in for an Instagram-perfect bottle of juice to drink on-the-go on I-70.

Avenue Eats in Wheeling, WV

Featured on Thrillist for their great burgers, Avenue Eats in West Virginia makes a great road trip lunch stop. Their menu sports a wide variety of unique burgers, but if that's not your style, they have other options that are vegetarian and gluten-free. Avenue Eats is partnered with WHISK Bakery, so dessert plans are easy to manage, too.

Summit Diner in Somerset, PA

Speaking of dessert, you can get your sweet tooth fixed on I-70 east with Summit Diner's homemade pies. This American-style restaurant is locally known for their pies as well as their comfort food entrées and fun retro atmosphere (the restaurant is located inside a renovated motel).

Mango Grill Indian & Thai Cuisine in Hagerstown, MD

sauce, rice, meat, vegetable
Sarah Arora

As I-70 winds to an end on the East Coast, settle in for a home-cooked meal at Hagerstown, Maryland's, Mango Grill. They're experts at delivering authentic, delicious Indian and Thai meals with 100 percent halal and kosher meat. It's the perfect place to get a warm meal before traveling to the Atlantic beachfront.

Wherever your travels take you in the US (be it across the continent or across the county), if you're getting there by Interstate 70, great food experiences in every state are just waiting to be discovered.