Ice cream is one of the most diverse desserts in terms of flavor selection. It's super easy to come up with more flavor combinations by adding in fun toppings and other ingredients to different base ice creams. Coffee and mint chocolate chip? Lemon basil sorbet with strawberries? Blueberry cheese cake with graham cracker bites? The possibilities are endless! I've chosen a few fan favorites and funky flavors that I think fit each month, read on to see if you agree with my choices!

January: Black Raspberry Chocolate Chunk

A decadent treat for one of the colder months of the year, start off your on the right foot with this delicious fruit based ice cream punctuated with dark chocolate chunks. 

February: Caramel Chai 

Who says you can't have a warm drink and a cold bowl of ice cream at the same time? For all the chai tea lovers out there, try this vegan coconut chai ice cream with chia seeds and top with some warm Carmel sauce for the perfect treat to end a snowy February day. 

March: Purple Cow 

A fun ice cream for a dreary month, Purple Cow ice cream is normally some sort of mixed berries or huckleberry based ice cream with white chocolate and milk chocolate chunks. This is also a great one to have with kids (especially if you tell them they're eating a cow).

April: Lavender Honey 

A more sophisticated take on ice cream, this delicate flavor is an unexpected but delightful combination. Lavender and honey is a great flavor for ice-cream and macaroons alike, so serve both if you're hosting a spring garden party while hopefully avoiding the showers in waiting for May's flowers.

May: Strawberry Pistachio and Chocolate

Pistachio ice cream combined with strawberries and chocolate chips is like the trifecta of great Italian gelato flavors had a dream child. If you can't find an ice-cream that includes all three of these flavors, make your own with this recipe and throw in some chocolate chunks! 

June: Strawberry

Strawberries are in season and what better way to celebrate than with strawberry ice cream?! Haagen-Dazs Strawberry Ice Cream is probably my favorite version, but you can also make your own homemade version with this recipe.

July: Classic Chocolate Vanilla Twist with Sprinkles

The quintessential ice cream of summer, any ice cream or creamee stand in the summertime will probably have chocolate and vanilla soft serve. The best version is, of course, the twist topped with rainbow sprinkles. Kids and adults alike will love this fun dessert! 

August: Lemon Sorbet

For one of the hottest months of the year, chill off with this tart lemon sorbet for a refreshing treat by the beach. You can also do this with limes, or try adding raspberries or mint to the lemon sorbet for a fun addition. 

September: Apple Crisp 

Okay, it's my strong opinion that oatmeal cookie ice cream is SEVERELY underrated and may be the best ice cream out there. It's perfect for crisps and crumbles when you want a side of ice cream and it stays more intact than regular vanilla and the cinnamon adds more flavor! Add oats, caramelized apples, and cinnamon to vanilla bean ice cream if you want to make your own version!  

October: Spiced Vanilla Bean

October is a great month for baked goods, pies, crisps, crumbles, brownies, and more...and of course you need to top them with ice cream! For a twist on the classic vanilla, try spiced vanilla bean ice cream with cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

November: Half Baked

While Ben & Jerry's is the gold standard, any ice cream with big chocolate chunks, brownie bits, chocolate chip cookie dough, and peanut butter is the perfect ice cream for November. Dive into the more decadent ice creams like dark chocolate gelato, cookie dough, moose tracks, Carmel caribou, or try any similar flavor this month.

December: Peppermint

With the holiday cheer in the air, brighten your night with a bowl of pink peppermint ice cream and a mug of hot chocolate (possibly combining the two into a delicious milkshake). A seasonal flavor that has us looking forward to the holidays even more, peppermint is a definitely a fan favorite for the most festive month of the year.