The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) is a cult classic. It's a sci-fi musical extravaganza that will leave you wondering what the f*ck you just watched, all while being titillated enough to want to do it again.

The film has cemented itself as both popular and counter-culture. For the last 41 years, hordes of movie-goers have been attending midnight screenings and immersing themselves in Rocky Horror culture. Although it's popular year long, screenings have become a Halloween staple for many college and university students.

The film has been referenced in countless television shows and movies: That '70s Show, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Fame all feature Rocky Horror—not to mention Glee dedicated an entire episode to it.

The thing that makes The Rocky Horror Picture Show so memorable—besides the wacky concept, interesting characters, and full out glitz—is the audience participation.

Rocky Horror is notorious for being an interactive film. The audience is welcome to yell callback lines at the screen, get up and dance, and use props to fully immerse themselves in the experience.

There's a long list of props that the audience is welcome to bring and use at each screening, and some are more ethical than others. Rocky fans often bring newspapers, party hats, toilet paper, and playing cards, just to name a few.

You're probably wondering: how about when food comes into the picture? Yes, even food gets tossed around and throughout the audience.

From one foodie to another, here are the three essential foods you must bring with you to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

1. Rice

Rice is the very first prop that the audience uses. Help celebrate Ralph Hapschatt and Betty Munroe’s wedding by throwing rice alongside their on-screen wedding guests.

#SpoonTip: If you've never thrown rice at a wedding before, it should be noted that the rice should be uncooked.

2. Toast

Toast is used during the dinner party sequence. With all the guests sitting around the table, Frank proposes a toast to absent friends. While the characters on screen raise their glasses, the audience takes the concept of ‘a toast’ literally and throws their slices of bread.

The toast should be plain—there's no need for butter or any other spreads.

3. Hot Dogs

Dr. Frank N. Furter might have a similar name to Dr. Frankenstein, but he's actually named after frankfurters—a fancy word for hot dogs.

Hot dogs are thrown during the scene where "Planet, Schmanet, Janet" is played. Frank sings the lyrics, "Don’t get hot and flustered / use a bit of mustard" to which Brad responds by yelling, "You’re a hot dog / but you better not try to hurt her, Frank Furter." If you have a hot dog in your possession, toss it into the audience when Brad says "hot dog."

Please be advised that varying theatres have different rules and regulations in regard to which props you're allowed to bring. Check in with the place where the production is being screened or performed to find out what you can and can't bring.

Abide by the rules and I’m sure you’ll be more than welcome to come back and do the time warp again.