About an hour North of New York City, Dutchess County is the spot where city dwellers go for apple picking, hiking, and outdoor adventures. Due to its location and abundance of farms, this county may be considered upstate by some, but is still home to historical, natural, and gastronomical gems. So, if you need a break from the urban life for a day, or are a resident looking for an escapade, here are the best locations for adventures and eating out of NYC.

Mount Beacon

Mount Beacon

If you're looking for a moderate hike in Dutchess County, Mount Beacon is for you. Although you'll be huffing and puffing the first mile-or-so into the steep ascent, the trail flattens out for a manageable aerobic workout. On your way up, you'll pass ruins, observation decks, and the fire tower -- be sure to climb up this tower because on a clear day, you can see from the Big Apple to Albany. 

Susan Gong

Where to eat: Stock Up

When you need some fuel before your hike or want to treat yourself after, be sure to stop by Stock Up. This small cafe has great food and a great ambiance. With delicious wraps, unique sandwiches, and make-your-own salads, this place is great for the indulgent or health-conscious hikers.

Susan Gong

Breakneck Ridge

If you're not afraid of doing some serious rock scrambling to see some of the best views in the Hudson Valley, go to Breakneck Ridge; there's a reason why this climb got its name. You'll be squeezing through rock cracks, gripping with hands and shoes, and propelling yourself up rock faces. However, you'll also get stunning views of the Hudson River at the cliff overlooks. The way down is a breeze, so don't worry and strap on your hiking shoes. 

Susan Gong

Where to eat: Glazed Over Donuts

Once you've decided that you deserve a serious treat for surviving the climb, head over the Glazed Over Donuts. This cute donut shop allows you to customize your donut by choosing one of over ten different glazes, toppings, and drizzles for a perfect and unique reward. You can walk the calories off by strolling through the historic town of Beacon.

Susan Gong

Vanderbilt Mansion

If you need motivation to earn money, go to the Vanderbilt Mansion and gawk at the amazing gilded-age architecture and admire over 200 acres of manicured landscape. Built as a summer house for the Vanderbilt family, this property has 54 rooms, an amazing garden and pond, and a scenic walk through nature that takes you to an amazing waterfront park. 

Susan Gong

Where to eat: Culinary Institute Of America

Just down the street from Vanderbilt Mansion, visit the CIA for a nice dinner after your mansion tour. This campus boasts great waterfront views, impressive architecture, and buildings where you can see world-renown chefs making pastries. A stroll around the main building is filled with scents of lavender and herbs and strawberry, eggplant, and pepper fruits growing from pots. After your done, check out the Hyde Park Drive-In Theater at night.

tea, coffee
David Zambuto

Locust Grove

If you want to get lost around Dutchess County's nature preserves, Locust Grove is the location for you. This estate was built for artist and inventor Samuel Morse and features a mansion, garden, and miles of hiking trails leading to the Hudson River. Make sure to bring a map because your phone won't have any service.

Susan Gong

Where to eat: Kobe

After exploring the woods with family or friends, head to Kobe for authentic Japanese food. Whether you want a nice, quiet dinner with sushi or a lively, boisterous meal with hibachi, Kobe can entertain with its varying ambiances.

Susan Gong

Vassar College

If you want to see amazing architecture, walk through nature, or experience a cozy college town, visit Vassar College. This college campus was built with a gothic style and houses the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, a free art museum with antique and contemporary works. Vassar College Farms is also within walking distance. Here, you can walk through miles of natural trails and discover hidden ponds and animals. Finally, the college town houses hip stores such as thrift shops, fortune tellers, and crystal shops.

tea
Annika Rowland

Where to eat: Twisted Soul or BabyCakes

Popular among students and residents, these two cafes serve very different cuisines. Twisted Soul serves Asian-fusion dishes such as dumplings and baos. BabyCakes serves New American dishes and is vegetarian/vegan-friendly with dishes such as vegan burgers, spicy green curry, and quinoa salad.

Susan Gong

Walkway Over The Hudson/The Rail Trail

If you want to see the best views of the Hudson River or are an athlete, you must check out the Walkway Over the Hudson. This previous railroad is now a pedestrian bridge and stretches from Dutchess County to Ulster County. You can walk, run, or bike this beautiful one mile stretch, which makes up part of the Hudson Valley Rail Trail. If you're feeling athletic, bike or run the entire rail trail which is a 36 mile paved trail going from Highland to Hopewell Junction. So grab your bike or your sneakers and get ready for an all day adventure.

Susan Gong

Where to eat: Lola's Cafe

Right before or after walking the walkway, stop by Lola's Cafe. This fast and casual lunch cafe is right under the walkway and features healthy dishes like power bowls and decadent meals like the short rib grilled cheese. The walls are decorated with chalk art and you can get their signature dishes, such as spicy peanut noodles and chocolate cream pie, to go.

beer
Kelsi Kobata

For any adventure or food craving, Dutchess County has a place for you. If you need a break from the go-go-go of the city, come during any season. Winter: historic sites. Spring: hiking. Summer: pick fresh berries. Fall: foliage. Who says it's boring upstate?