When I first scrolled past an article for the benefits of chocolate face masks on Facebook, I thought it was too good to be true. Like most of the human population, I absolutely LOVE chocolate, but I didn't really believe there would be any actual benefits to my skin. Call me a cynic, but I had my doubts. Was it just another fad?

After doing a bit more research, I found that chocolate actually has higher antioxidant levels than green tea — a face mask I swear by — as well as being better at neutralizing free radicals and protecting skin cells. This basically means that it's Mr. Clean-level good at toning and cleaning your skin.

If chocolate could do a better job at un-tomatoing (scientific term) my face after a day out in the elements than my beloved green tea, maybe there was something to it. It's claimed that applying — and eating — high-flavonol cocoa, which is found in dark chocolate, can hydrate, smooth, and protect your skin from UV damage. For someone who gets sunburnt even in the wintertime, this won me over.

Why Avocado?

Learning all of this new info about the benefits of a chocolate face mask made me wonder what other benefits I could be gaining from my favourite foods. Out of a list of about 10 foods, avocado came out as the reigning superstar. It turns out avocado is FULL of vitamins, essential fatty acids, and amino acids. So I thought to myself, why make a face mask out of only one superfood when you can make it with two?

Chocolate and Avocado Face Mask

• 50 grams melted dark chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons mashed avocado
  • 2 tablespoons raw honey
chocolate
Ellie Gilchrist

Melt the chocolate in a bowl resting over a pot of hot water until it's completely liquid.

chocolate, coffee
    Ellie Gilchrist

Take the chocolate off the heat and add honey and avocado. Stir it until the mixture is creamy and consistent.

sweet, chocolate, cream, cake
    Ellie Gilchrist

Wash your hands and apply the mixture to a clean, dry face or any other part of your body. Hands and feet also benefit greatly from this!

gif
    Ellie Gilchrist

Gently massage the mask into your skin then leave on for 15-20 minutes.

gif
    Ellie Gilchrist

Rinse off with warm water and enjoy your silky soft skin!

cake, chocolate, bacon
    Ellie Gilchrist

Takeaways:

The chocolate face mask delivered on everything it promised and more. My skin felt softer than a baby's ass and was significantly less red than before the mask. In a mega bonus turn of events, I had inadvertently popped a zit right before taking pictures of myself for all of you lovely readers to see, but the face mask made the inflammation and redness of the blemish go way down. That's close to magic in my books.

The addition of the avocado and honey to the face mask also made it way easier to apply the chocolate face mask and prevented any annoying drippage that I've found with other facemasks. Honey, like chocolate, is also a great antioxidant and moisturiser. This face mask just won't quit.

I would absolutely use this face mask again, especially because it was so cheap and is easily the best smelling face mask I've ever used. I am officially on the chocolate face mask train, and you should be too.

#SpoonTip: Keep some extra mixture for after because it makes for a kickass dessert or spread.