Ah, bubble tea...It's been a growing trend in the US-- which is totally awesome. Here in Boston, there's a bunch of great places to check out, and maybe you'll also become addicted. Before we take a look at the boba in Boston, let's talk about the anatomy of your typical drink.

Maddy Wiener

A typical "boba" drink

While you can order any of the drinks from the menu, you also get to pick the sweetness level and the amount of ice. Also, you can order it hot if you're feeling it!

Your basic drink options:

Milk Tea (Most give you an option between black or green tea, but you can add milk to any tea.) 

Fruit Tea (Can be with black or green tea, or could be a fruit juice, slush, or smoothie. Can also be with milk.

Thai Tea 

Chai Tea

Toppings:

Tapioca Pearls (picture below) - The iconic topping, which is usually referred to as boba made from the yuca root.

sweet, coffee, tea
Austin Hake

Popping Boba - also a popular froyo topping, popping boba is an interesting case-- the fruit flavor bursts in your mouth, making it one of the more fun toppings.

Pudding - usually custard pudding is the most common topping. If you're lucky, you can find different kinds offered.

Jelly - typically fruit flavored! A fun alternative if you don't like tapioca pearls. 

Milk Foam - Also known as "cheese tea", this doesn't sound as bad as it does. For the most fearless lactose intolerant consumer, this is worth getting diarrhea for. Learn more about it here.

You can find more information about the toppings here.

Before we get to the recommendations, here are some tips useful for a first-time boba drinker. Ultimately, the possibilities are endless... keep going back to experiment and see what your usual order will become.

Where To Go for Boba in Boston?

Maddy Wiener

Teamoji

Location: 3 N Beacon St, Allston, MA 02134

Thoughts: Although pretty far out in Allston, Teamoji is one of my favorite places. Its decor is super aesthetic and very cute, and it works as a great place to study or just hang out. Along with drinks, they also sell ice cream with bubble waffles. They're constantly experimenting with the menu, so you just want to keep coming back.

Tbaar

Location: 1038 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02215

Thoughts: Much closer to where I live on BU's campus, Tbaar has some of the most refreshing drinks I've ever had. Their fruit smoothies are particularly really good, and they also sell crepe cakes and Chinese crepes. It's a smaller location, so it might not be the best place to study, but it definitely is great for picking up a quick drink.

Tea-Do

Location: Chinatown; 8 Tyler St, Boston, MA 02111

Thoughts: If you want to venture out to Chinatown, then this place is a great place to try. Their specialty drinks are great (I am particularly fond of Zen's Awakening), and they also sell takoyaki and onigiri. While it's relatively small, there's still enough space and accommodations to be a good place to hang out with friends. 

Gong Cha

Location: Chinatown; 40-44 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111

Thoughts: Popular worldwide, and for good reason. It's a great choice if you're willing to wait in line when you're in Chinatown. Other than that, the quality is consistently good. The space is really small, so you won't be able to stay there very long, but it's a good choice if you're on the go. 

Of course, there's plenty of other great places to get boba in Boston. Most boba you can find here is great, but I just narrowed it down to some of the usual places I go to. 

Too lazy and too broke to go to these places? Want to be prepared to make it in the comfort of your own home? You totally can. Otherwise, these are great places to check out if you're looking for boba in Boston.