JMU and our beloved town of Harrisonburg are known for delicious, mouth-watering food. From pizza to burgers to Southern food, Harrisonburg has mastered it all. From the day I had my college tour at JMU, I learned just how delectable the food is here. I’m here to let you know the best spots to hit in Harrisonburg if you’re here to visit, for a tour, or are a Duke looking for new spots to eat. Harrisonburg will fulfill any craving you have, and as a Duke, here's an article listing just some of the absolute best food in downtown Harrisonburg. 

Bella Luna

Bella Luna has been my favorite spot in downtown Harrisonburg since I toured JMU in my junior year. Bella Luna is an Italian restaurant best known for their flavorful wood-fired pizzas. I’d absolutely recommend ordering the Brooklyn pizza (spicy marinara, garlic, oregano, parmesan, mozzarella, provolone, and red pepper flakes) because that is my go-to favorite as a big enthusiast of all things spicy (and, of course, cheese). Their Fire-Roasted Meatballs feel like the homey comfort food I miss so much while I’m at school and the Wood-Fired Fingerling Potatoes feature a heavenly smoky-garlic aioli that keeps me coming back for more.

Credit: @bellalunawoodfiredpizza on Instagram

Jack Brown’s

If you’re in the mood for a juicy burger, you should absolutely head to Jack Brown’s. These tender burgers, fresh fries, and deep fried oreos are a trifecta of perfection. If you’re new to the spot, I absolutely recommend the Classic Jack (burger with american cheddar cheese, onion jam, pickle slices, and JB’s sauce). I also highly recommend getting their crinkle cut fries to absolutely douse in the addictive JB’s sauce. For dessert, their deep fried Oreos are a perfect amount of sweetness and deep chocolate flavor to end the meal.

Credit: @jackbrowns on Instagram

Jimmy Madison's

A restaurant that has perfected Southern cooking is none other than Jimmy Madison’s. Head here with a couple of friends to share their delicious shareables (my favorite being the loaded Brisket Nachos) or try one of their handhelds; my recommendation is none other than the Bacon Royale Burger because who doesn’t love bacon on a juicy patty layered with scrumptious toppings? If you want to indulge in a Southern meal, head to Jimmy Madison’s.

Credit: @jimmymadisons on Instagram

One of my favorite parts of JMU is the accessibility to downtown Harrisonburg due to their events and bustling restaurants, each offering their own unique ambience and delicious staples that makes them unforgettable. Head to these spots for the absolute best food in downtown Harrisonburg, and I promise that you’ll be left wanting more!