If you’re like me, being gluten-intolerant usually means one of two things: 1) You get dragged to an incredible pizza restaurant or your friends’ favorite burger spot and end up with a side salad while your peers bathe in all things bread or 2) Your friends decide to be overly accommodating and you all end up faced with a grilled slab of tofu at a funky, flavorless, clean-eating place (and you simmer in unspoken blame).

Luckily, Houston offers plenty of fun, trendy, unique spots that both you and your gluten-loving friends can get excited about. No more constraining yourself to three plausible menu items, gluten-free foodies. Houston has your back.

1. Ruggles Green

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

There’s nothing like walking into Ruggles for lunch and being greeted with columns and columns of gluten-free–friendly menu items. From pizza, to pastas, to burgers, Ruggles offers a gluten-free heaven great for casual dine-in or takeout. The quinoa mac and cheese and the grilled salmon pasta are highlights.

2. Ruggles Black

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Ruggles Black, owned by the same people as Ruggles Green, offers a hip, upscale, paleo-inspired dining experience. Not only does Ruggles Black feature plentiful gluten-free dishes, but all of the menu items are interesting, unique, and flavorful, like the fried cauliflower rice with snapper and the “Big Sexy” (a bone-in pork-chop).

#SpoonTip: The dessert tray is legendary so make sure you leave room.

3. Corner Table

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Another invention of the Ruggles restaurant family, Corner Table features healthy paleo eats. Corner Table is also fairly upscale, but offers more spins on comfort foods rather than the exotic flavors of Ruggles Black. Try the paleo paella and paleo pappardelle pasta.

4. True Food Kitchen

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

True Food Kitchen is a perfect spot for casual, healthy dining. With a cool and modern atmosphere and an expansive menu of gluten-free options, this is the perfect place to take your gluten-free–skeptical friends. The edamame dumplings and inside-out quinoa burger are favorites.

5. Sweet Paris Creperie

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

This cute creperie in Rice Village offers a unique selection of savory and sweet crêpes AND gluten-free dough. One of the few gluten-free opportunities to enjoy French cuisine, Sweet Paris is a must for lunch, dinner, or dessert.

6. Luna Pizzeria

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Luna Pizzeria accomplishes the feat of making gluten-free pizza dough that tastes like the real deal. Unlike most pizza spots, Luna has a pleasant and modern dine-in space to enjoy your gluten-free creation. Luna offers creative topping combos as well as the make-your-own pizza option.

7. Healthy Cow Pizza

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Healthy Cow features healthy pizzas with over 90 ingredients to choose from.

#SpoonTip: Healthy Cow delivers with beer and wine and is open until midnight.

8. Pondicheri

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Pondicheri offers home-style and street foods of India with many gluten-free options. This trendy spot in River Oaks is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and even boasts great baked goods made in house. The butter chicken and vegetable curry are to die for.

9. Sinfull Bakery

houston restaurants

Photo courtesy of sinfullbakery.com

And finally dessert. Since I became gluten-free, ice cream has become my favorite dessert by default. Nothing gets me more hype than the opportunity to eat REAL baked goods that don’t taste gluten-free. Sinfull Bakery provides 100% vegan, all-natural (and mostly organic) desserts.

From French, to Indian, to Italian, Houston boasts excellent restaurants for gluten-free foodies. So thank you, Houston, for blessing us with trendy, delicious gluten-free food so we can stuff our faces alongside friends. With these restaurants, gluten-free never has to be boring.