While being vegetarian is something I, and many others, thoroughly enjoy, it can be limiting when it comes to fast food. A typical fast food stop almost always means just fries. This applies to sandwich shops, too. I love a good sub, but your typical sandwich is stacked with meat. However, the convenience and satisfaction of a nice sub sandwich is not lost on me. Therefore, through experimental research, I have constructed a list of some of the best vegetarian sandwiches, along with a few ways to spice up the basics.

1. Jimmy John's Vegetarian

If that picture isn't relatable, I don't know what is. This might just be a personal fave, but I really think this is the most simple, yet flavorful vegetarian sandwich out there. The sandwich is provolone, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado spread (to die for), and sprouts (at some locations). It also comes with mayo, which is a very yummy combination. However, I recommend opting for the Italian vinaigrette instead for a little more flavor. You can even add some onions and oregano to really spice it up. 

2. Anything from Which Wich

Many may argue this sandwich joint should be #1 simply because of the magnitude of vegetarian options. At Which Wich every sandwich is pretty much build-your-own. You pick your base and then whatever cheeses, veggies, dressings, and spices you'd like. What is super unique about them is that they might be the only sandwich chain with more than one veggie option. In fact, they have a whopping FIVE vegetarian bases. There's hummus, black bean patties (WOW), tomato and avocado, caprese, and artichoke hearts (with parm). 

3. Potbelly Mushroom Melt Skinny

This is a very simple one, yet also one of the best veggie sandwiches out there. If you like mushrooms, then this one is for you. It is perfectly paired with melted swiss, cheddar, and provolone. My suggestion is to top it with whatever toppings you like, then add avocado. The slight avocado up-charge is so worth the creamy addition. Plus, the skinnys are cheaper than a regular sandwich, so you're still coming out ahead. Most importantly, if you like spice, add the classic hot peppers for a flavorful kick.

4. Potbelly Mediterranean

Potbelly gets a second shoutout because it really is just that good. Not to mention, this unique sandwich is much different than #3. While wildly satisfying, you definitely have to be in the mood for this one. It's a savory combination of "zippy" hummus, feta cheese, artichoke hearts, cucumbers, and roasted red peppers. The spicy hummus paired with the cool cucumbers and feta cheese makes for an all-together fabulous creation.

5. Jersey Mike's The Veggie

This sandwich is pretty basic, but Jersey Mike's sure knows how to make a sub. The sub is swiss and provolone with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and green peppers, which are a unique touch.  They also have other special toppings to choose from including a hot cherry pepper relish, some real good mustard, spices, and "the juice" which is a mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil. If you're feeling grilled veggies with ranch, there's a veggie wrap on the menu that looks pretty good, too. 

6. Quiznos Veggie Guacamole

This one is a fun one and could be your new go-to. It has guac (so you know they're doing something right), along with cheddar, mozzarella, black olives, cucumbers, mushrooms, green peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and red wine vinaigrette. It is stacked.

7. Subway Veggie Delight

TBH, boring. Subway has a lot to offer meat-eaters, which is great and all, but really not worth it for vegetarians. To me, it is the feared, boring bread and cheese. You can probably add enough veggies and sauces to add some flavor. Therefore, it does have potential, but not my favorite compared to the others on the list.

So, have no fear, veggie life is not boring. Just keep in mind my recommendations, along with these additions and adjustments to spice up your average vegetarian sandwich. There are not a whole lot of veggie fast food options, but these seven vegetarian sandwiches are really good ones. When in doubt, remember it's always worth it to add avocado.