A well-known fact here in Thailand is that getting your hands on high quality beef is no easy task. Usually if you had a hankering for steak you’d have to make your way to some pricy hotel in order to get the good stuff (and even then it could be hit-or-miss), but luckily we've got some new restaurants hoping to change that narrative. One of these spots is Thaan, a modern steakhouse hidden in Soi Sukhumvit 31 (a stone's throw away from one of our other favorite meat-focused joints, Le Cochon Blanc). With a focus on excellent cooking techniques and prime ingredients, Thaan is a must-visit if you’re on the hunt for a good steak in Bangkok.

Located smack-dab between BTS Asoke and BTS Phrom Phong, Thaan can be easily reached via basically any means of transportation — a rarity here in Bangkok. The intimate space only seats 20 people, making it the perfect spot for special occasions like a date night or birthday dinner (reservations are highly encouraged due to the limited seating). With moody lighting and an open floor plan, the restaurant is as cozy as it is chic.

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Their menu, an inspired take on meat, includes seasonal dishes as well as a few standby’s that you can find year-round. Since it’s a steakhouse they obviously focus on proteins, however, there are still a few light options like charred lettuce with anchovy creme fraiche or blue swimmer crab cappellini. When our group visited we tried a few of their small plates which included the A4 beef sukiyaki, beef tongue with salsa verde, and aforementioned crab dish. Each item was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. The raw beef sukiyaki, a nice change of pace from the popular beef tartare, is served with a cured egg yolk, highlighting the quality of Thaan’s ingredients while the tender beef tongue showcases the skill of their kitchen staff.

Like any good steakhouse, Thaan features a variety of cuts sourced locally and from overseas. With classic offerings ranging from pork chops to a delectable 45 day+ dry aged Australian wagyu striploin, any carnivore in Bangkok is sure to find something to tickle their fancy. On the hunt for something other than a hunk of meat? Give their “oh my supper!!” dish a try. Beautifully presented, this elevated take on fried rice includes cubes of perfectly cooked beef and is hearty enough to feed at least 3 people. The worst nightmare for anyone who eats their meat well-done (why would you do that), Thaan’s steak is served on the rare to medium-rare side, the perfect temp for ingredients this good. How are these meats cooked you ask? Why, over a charcoal grill of course.

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

We'll admit that Thaan's prices (ranging from 200THB to 580 THB for small plates and 450THB++ for meat dishes) are a little up there, but the quality of ingredients more than make up for the cost. Even if you have a steakhouse that you’ve been going to for however many years, Thaan is worth a visit if you're a carnivore in Bangkok.

Thaan

Phone number: 086-303-1211

Address: 68/6 Soi Sukhumvit 31 Yaek 4, Bangkok, Thailand

Closest public transportation: BTS Phrom Phong