As we head back to school this fall, our stomachs are aching for all of our favorite meals we've had this summer. Back to school does not have to mean dining hall meals or walking up and down Marshall Street looking for something to eat. Leaving campus to explore what Syracuse restaurants have to offer with your friends can be a great way to get a quick break from college life. 

As I began hitting all the spots I loved freshman year, I realized although I may not want to admit it, I actually may have missed it here this summer. 

CORE 

Craving a salad? Core is the place to go. Located in Liverpool, New York, it can seem a little far at times, but it's definitely worth taking the trip. With plenty of options to choose from, the menu is centered around green, grain, and broth bowls. This is also the closest that you will get to a Chopt salad while at school. Can't decide what to get? Making your own bowl is always the move.

Check out their Insta to see all the amazing options!! 

Original Grain 

Hannah Lester

Weekends at Original Grain mean hip-hop brunch with good music and vibes. Need a study break? This is definitely the place to go. All of the fresh ingredients used here are a nice break from the dining hall and the number of healthy options is limitless. With options such as avocado toast, smoothies, acai bowls, and poke bowls, you can never get tired of coming here. 

Pastabilities 

Hannah Lester

A classic Syracuse restaurant, Pastabilties is always worth the wait. The stretch bread and hot tomato oil that you get while waiting for your food is amazing. If you want to go all-out, I recommend getting the garlic stretch bread. The pasta, bread, and sauces are all homemade at their bakery across the street. Located in Armory Square, it's a great place to take your parents if they've never been. 

The York

If you've been to The York before, chances are you came here for a birthday dinner. If it's not your birthday you can always find an excuse to go out to a nice dinner with friends. With so many options to choose from, you can never get tired of the food here. Make sure to save room for the s'mores dip; it's definitely the most popular here. Other favorites include the Mac and cheese, flatbreads, and hamburger. Also, the dark atmosphere gives NYC vibes while still being in Armory Square. 

Big Dip

Hannah Lester

Since I don't have anything like this at home, coming here always reminds me of summers spent at camp. There are so many different flavors to try such as pumpkin ice cream, but the chocolate peanut butter swirl is my favorite combo. While the weather is still nice, which won't be for long, you should definitely try to come here. 

Mitsuba

Last but not least, this popular restaurant is the closest to the sushi you will find at home. With the option of regular seating or hibachi, Mitsuba has lots to offer. The free roll you get while waiting for your food makes coming here worth the drive. Added bonus: Sweet Frog frozen yogurt is right next door along with Movie Tavern if you're looking for something to do on a night-in.