The UMD Spoon team has been partnering with quite a few local companies and restaurants lately. We’ve got a bunch of new partnerships including Blaze for all you pizza lovers as well as a couple of healthy options for those counting their calories. We’ve managed to score a deal with Sweetgreen, a salad chain that specializes in sourcing local, organic food. On top of that, we’ve also teamed up with Emmy’s Organics, a company that produces raw, gluten free macaroons.

Sweetgreen

Sweetgreen is a wonderful, healthy alternative to fast food if you plan on going out to Route 1 for lunch or dinner. It’s Chipotle-style too, which makes it extra awesome.This isn’t your ordinary salad bowl you can get anywhere. Sweetgreen tries to focus on sustainably sourced ingredients while providing food that everyone can enjoy; not just for your average veggie-lover.

A photo posted by sweetgreen (@sweetgreen) on

Their signature options include the Kale Caesar, a play on the classic with the added kick of kale, and the Harvest Bowl, a grain-oriented bowl that screams fresh from the farm. Definitely stop by this local chain as soon as you can, they just rolled out their new spring menu made up of the freshest and most seasonal ingredients around.

Emmy’s Organics

Originally a simple business at your local farmer’s market, Emmy’s Organics took the next step and launched a successful crowd-sourcing campaign. Emmy’s macaroons are vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free, but don’t worry about how that affects their taste. They’re chewy, sweet and full of dense coconut bits. Yum.

Today, they can be found in grocery stores nationwide, so definitely grab some of these bites of deliciousness next time you’re out. Not only that, but Emmy’s Organics is also a certified B-corporation, meaning that they have satisfied specific social and environmental standards and requirements.

organic

Photo by Megane Simoes

I have to say that they’re a wonderful alternative to that cookie fix you need when you’re cramming for that exam for tomorrow. Unlike regular desserts, they don’t make me crash midway into my study session, which is a huge plus in my book. You can usually find these at UMD’s Commons Shop on campus.

So if you need a change of pace from the options available at the Diner, definitely consider these healthy alternatives. Sweetgreen for dinner and Emmy’s Organics for dessert. A complete meal that will definitely satisfy any hungry belly, guaranteed.

Other tips for eating right for all you health nuts: