It’s called the Sushito and the brainchild of Toby, owner of Unami Sushi & Asian Grill in Springfield, Oregon. Think rice, fresh fish, veggies, cream cheese, tempura flakes, seaweed salad and your favorite sauces all combined in a soy wrap.

sushi

Photo by Judy Holtz

The idea came to Toby after a customer from California drove through  asking for a sushi burrito. “I thought he was confused because this place used to be a Mexican restaurant,” Toby explains with a chuckle. After talking with the man, Toby learned that he wasn’t confused and wanted a sushi burrito that he tasted in California. Toby thought that if it was popular in California, it would be worth a shot here in Oregon.

He was more than right. After experimenting with recipes and combinations, the sushito had become exactly what Unami needed to gain unique access into the quick-service sushi market.

sushi

Photo by Judy Holtz

Toby and his beautiful fiance Abby opened Unami Sushi in June 2013 after moving to Oregon from Montana. Toby, who previously owned Montana’s award winning 2nd Street Sushi and Abby, savvy in nutrition and personal training, sought to open a healthy alternative to fast food: quick-service sushi that’s not served on the usual conveyor belt.

“We didn’t want to be like normal food chains that sell cheap, unhealthy food at mass quantities,” Toby explains. “We want our sushi to be known as a product that you can feel good eating.” Unami uses locally sourced veggies and sustainable seafood. The menu includes 19 sushitos along with everything from edgy octopus nigiri to vegetarian lovers’ Teriyaki Tofu.

sushi

Photo by Judy Holtz

Because of the sushito’s success, the couple is excited to announce the opening of Sushitos Food Cart across from Ninkasi’s Tasting Room in Eugene. The cart will sell a variety of sushitos along with their new sushi-nachos. Sushitos Food Cart will open on September 1, 2015 just in time for fall term. And of course, if you’re around for the summer, check them out at the Whitaker Block Party on August 2 as they dish out some teasers.

sushi

Photo by Judy Holtz

average

Address: 4205 Main Street, Springfield, OR 97478
Hours: Mon 4pm-9pm, Tues-Fri 11am to 9pm, Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun closed

Haven’t had your fill of sushi yet? Check out these fun articles: