Stuffy noses, sore throats, hacking coughs: lately, the common cold has taken over campus. From germ-ridden lecture halls to Kleenex-hoarding roommates, the bitten-by-the-flu-bug body count just keeps rising. Since flu season has officially begun, follow these tips to practice preventative eating and make it through the season unscathed.

Boost your immune system with salmon

Omega-3 fatty acids are basically miraculous: they reduce inflammation, decrease the risk of a whole truckload of diseases and generally help you function better. Salmon is loaded with omega-3s and easy to throw in the skillet for dinner. Buy wild-caught to ensure the best quality. (Or, for a smaller price tag, pick up a dozen omega-3 enriched eggs).

Fight dirty with kale

Leafy greens make your body happy. Stave off infection by filling up on kale and spinach (no iceberg lettuce, please). This will invigorate your disease-fighting white blood cells. Try baked kale chips or load up a salad with dark green veggies.

Treat with citrus

Even though the preventative effects of vitamin C against the common cold are controversial, it may help you kick the flu bug faster. Go for a clementine when the guy next to you on the bus starts hacking up a lung.

Unwind with a hot toddy

When all else fails, turn to whisky. Traditional hot toddies were thought to have medicinal properties, and there’s something about the slightly sour mix that is undeniably soothing (I would know, I’m sipping one now). Combine lemon juice, honey, whisky and a dash of cinnamon for the basic blend. But remember, everything in moderation – no one wants a cold and a hangover.