I had always dreamed of going to a music festival and when I visited the Firefly Music Festival for a single day last year, I decided I had to do the four day camp-out this year. What I’ve learned after this weekend: I am a city girl and should never step foot inside the woods again.

The festival is well known for being one of the better (and one of the only) East Coast music festivals. Firefly combines genres of music, such as alternative pop, alternative rock and even EDM, to get a crowd of various people to show up and have a good time. The people and the music are what set this experience apart for me and made it memorable.

But those aren’t the only aspects that will have me remembering Firefly for years to come. I think, hands down, my camping and food experience is what I will remember the most. Note to yourself: If you’re ever going camping for more than two days and someone suggests to “bring snacks”, disregard them and buy the entirety of Stop n’ Shop. Snacks are for the weak (or for weakening the strong).

Firefly Music Festival

Photo by Nicole Feretich

For the first day, I lived off of the minimal snacks and drinks we had in the car. So, I basically had Chip’s Ahoy! and Fireball Whiskey. This was not a good choice, and on day two I tried to walk around and see what food the festival itself could offer my friends and I.

Firefly Music Festival

Photo by Nicole Feretich

What we found: various stands and food trucks dedicated to making you spend 40% more on fast food then you’d ever want or expect to. But you buy it anyway because it’s hot, you’re tired and hungry and if you don’t get food now you’re going to die in Delaware with a flower crown on your head.

Firefly Music Festival

Photo by Nicole Feretich

The lines were usually long (unless you went around 8 am or 2 am). Inside the festival there were solely food stands. They had a few different options (American Grill, noodles, chicken tenders again). Every few hundred feet you’d see the exact same cluster of stands as you did while walking to another stage. So, variety wasn’t truly present. But, again, you’re hungry and you’re starting to walk towards the light (which you find out was just the lamp post you were too drunk to comprehend), so you ignore everything you originally were picky about (and cheap about) in order to survive.

Firefly Music Festival

Photo by Nicole Feretich

All in all, Firefly Music Festival is a treat. It’s all about kicking back and listening to all the bands on your current Spotify playlist while enjoying drinks with friends in a tent. But, be warned, if you ever go: I suggest packing many burgers to make for yourself (and a few vegetables).